• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

National service day 2015

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
To all of you ex-National Service 'squaddies', don't forget that Sunday, June 28th is National Service Day. (1945 - 1963).

We also did our bit, some of us even died. I had a friend that I joined up with, that was killed in Malaya. Some National Service men were killed in Korea, and in other conflicts.

Eddie.

Thanks for the reminder, Eddie. (RAF 1955-57)

Yes, Malaya and battling the Mau Mau in East Africa saw a few fatalities.

Maurice (Cardington, Hednesford, Yatesbury, Stoke Heath)

[h=2]NATIONAL SERVICE DAY AND REUNION[/h]Sunday 28 June 2015On Sunday 28 June the National Service Veterans Association will hold their annual service and reunion at the National Memorial Arboretum.
The general public are invited to attend this service.

Time:
2pm - 4pm

Venue: National Service Memorial

My Mates Going John, (Ex GG), but nothing here at all, I am taking my son William RE Para's, to the (Arboretum) on Wednesday, and to pay my respects to my old comrades.Paul

Remembering ALL National Service Personal, but for me, remembering Bob Allen. We joined together in January 1952, completed all our training together, between January and August. I was sent to Germany, Bob to Malaya. Killed on his second day out there, aged 18, for around a £1.00 a week. What a waste.

Eddie

Corporal Haynes 001.jpgSelf, 1953

Not a NSM, but regular, joined as a boy, I too lost mates in Aden 64/65. and NI, 69/73, but do not consider any life lost in defence of the Realm, "Great British Empire or not" a waste. We were not paid much more than you in the early sixty's, but we knew our duty once enlisted, and trained. We were never deployed as (tourists), we were there to defend the British governments interests of the day and acted accordingly even if it meant death or maiming, we hoped not, BUT!!!!!!. Paul

Back