• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

NASA Fly Me To The Moon

A

Ann B

Apollo 11 blasted off to the moon on July 16th 1969. Forty years ago today three men were flying to the moon! And I was just one of the many millions, that were glued to their television screens, with my brother. As we all know, they landed July 20th. 1969. Fantastic!

Ann

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQYMAr2t0kk"]YouTube - NASA: Fly Me To The Moon[/ame]

Nah, it all happened on a back lot in Hollywood. Want proof? The US flag's waving as in a breeze, and there ain't no wind on the Moon...

Big Gee

One Theory among many.:). been watching too many conspiracy progs Big Gee :D I remember the landing well but for the life of me cant remember where I watched it and with who :rolleyes: too much drink I think in them days :D

The FLAG only waves when they take off Big Gee

Last edited:
Makes you smile Alf, ITV are suposed to have no money, yet they fly a reporter
half way round the world to report on it cheers Bernard

Its been none stop for about two weeks so far Bernard on BBC 4 at one time I saw so much of it that I had to keep checking the date of the event.:)
This is the reason that they can afford to show our national sports because thats where the money is going.

Sooner it starts showing averts and drops the licence fee the better.:)

If the BBC was funded by adverts then half the television channels would disappear, maybe some of the BBC television and radio channels as well.

There's not enough advertising revenue to go round now - ITV are strapped for cash (as stated in an earlier post) and Channel 4 are asking for a slice of the BBC licence fee to supplement their falling income from ads.

The big losers would be the smaller satellite / Freeview operators. Sky itself would have to put its subscription fees up to compensate for the proportion of the advertising revenue that the BBC would inevitably take.

And, in order to eke out the reduced revenue for each operator, the standards of the programmes would have to fall also.

There is only so much money available from businesses for television advertising and the BBC would need the lion's share to keep its whole operation going at its current level (even if the governors and Wossy took a big pay cut!)

Nah, it all happened on a back lot in Hollywood
Nasa sent a Lunar Recconaissance Orbit to the moon in June and it has photographed five of the six Apollo landing sites, showing the lunar module descent stages sitting on the moon's surface. On the Apollo 14 image a faint trail of footprints between the module and an instrument package can be seen. 40 years ago I remember staying up one night until the early hours, listening to it - what a night! I think they had 23 sec fuel left before they found level ground. The link below shows the pictures.
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/apollosites.html

Just remember what brave men these guys were, these pic taken from slides issued by NASA after this great event in a 15 slide box set.

Only winding you guys up! But within days of the actual landing there were crazy people in America claiming that they knew it was all a faked set-up, and that conspiracy-theory has never gone away. Even those who concede that the landing really did take place still insist that a lot of the 'action' was faked.

As for me, I watched the whole thing along with the rest of the world 40 years ago, absolutely riveted. Things like that don't seem to happen any more.

As a PS, I read recently that the computer aboard the lunar module had less power than the computer in a modern washing-machine....

Big Gee

Hi Big Gee,
Yes it was an experience to hear and see it, all those years ago. I saw a Lunar Module in the Washington Space Museum and was amazed how fragile it looked. I also stood in a queue to touch a piece of moon rock. :)

Hiya Old M,

We spent a wonderful week (yes, an entire week because the place was air-conditioned and safe from muggers...) in The Smithsonian in Washington. Awe-inspiring! What really shook me to the bone was the naughty end of a Saturn 5 rocket. Its sheer size defies description. They also had a module, but it was a 'spare', and as you say it looked so fragile, like a plastic bag. It was mostly carbon-fibre and mylar, I believe.

The highlight of that visit for me was leaning right out over a balcony to actually touch with my finger the genuine, real Ryan NYP Spirit of St Louis, without anyone spotting me! That was also inspiring but for the opposite to the Saturn 5 - it was so small!

ATB,

Big Gee

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU"]YouTube - Buzz Aldrin punch[/ame]

Hi Bill is that realy Buzz Aldrin throwing a punch if so I wonder what provoked him to do it?. Jean.

Sorry, but I don't understand the reason for this post.

Big Gee
Well Buzz was the second man on the moon though there is a person doubting the validity of the landing so he punches him.
There is a strong movement here in the States that doubt his UFO sightings and that they even landed on the moon at all.
I think they are crazy and salute Buzz for punching him

Hi Bill is that realy Buzz Aldrin throwing a punch if so I wonder what provoked him to do it?. Jean.

If you turn up the volume the guy accuses Buzz of being a liar and coward so Buzz punches him.
He doubts the validity of the lunar landing and the ufo sightings Buzz has reported

The landing: I believed it then; I do not believe it now.
Ted
NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, or LRO, has returned its first imagery of the Apollo moon landing sites. The pictures show the Apollo missions' lunar module descent stages sitting on the moon's surface, as long shadows from a low sun angle make the modules' locations evident.

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera, or LROC, was able to image five of the six Apollo sites, with the remaining Apollo 12 site expected to be photographed in the coming weeks.

The satellite reached lunar orbit June 23 and captured the Apollo sites between July 11 and 15. Though it had been expected that LRO would be able to resolve the remnants of the Apollo mission, these first images came before the spacecraft reached its final mapping orbit. Future LROC images from these sites will have two to three times greater resolution

"The LROC team anxiously awaited each image," said LROC principal investigator Mark Robinson of Arizona State University. "We were very interested in getting our first peek at the lunar module descent stages just for the thrill -- and to see how well the cameras had come into focus. Indeed, the images are fantastic and so is the focus."

Although these pictures provide a reminder of past NASA exploration, LRO's primary focus is on paving the way for the future. By returning detailed lunar data, the mission will help NASA identify safe landing sites for future explorers, locate potential resources, describe the moon's radiation environment and demonstrate new technologies.

"Not only do these images reveal the great accomplishments of Apollo, they also show us that lunar exploration continues," said LRO project scientist Richard Vondrak of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "They demonstrate how LRO will be used to identify the best destinations for the next journeys to the moon."

The spacecraft's current elliptical orbit resulted in image resolutions that were slightly different for each site but were all around four feet per pixel. Because the deck of the descent stage is about 12 feet in diameter, the Apollo relics themselves fill an area of about nine pixels. However, because the sun was low to the horizon when the images were made, even subtle variations in topography create long shadows. Standing slightly more than ten feet above the surface, each Apollo descent stage creates a distinct shadow that fills roughly 20 pixels.

The image of the Apollo 14 landing site had a particularly desirable lighting condition that allowed visibility of additional details. The Apollo Lunar Surface Experiment Package, a set of scientific instruments placed by the astronauts at the landing site, is discernable, as are the faint trails between the module and instrument package left by the astronauts' footprints.

Launched on June 18, LRO carries seven scientific instruments, all of which are currently undergoing calibration and testing prior to the spacecraft reaching its primary mission orbit. The LROC instrument comprises three cameras -- two high-resolution Narrow Angle Cameras and one lower resolution Wide Angle Camera. LRO will be directed into its primary mission orbit in August, a nearly-circular orbit about 31 miles above the lunar surface.

Goddard built and manages LRO, a NASA mission with international participation from the Institute for Space Research in Moscow. Russia provided the neutron detector aboard the spacecraft.
Check out the photos
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/apollosites.html

No problems Bill. Maybe you found pic on the site here.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html
I see the last photo on the Nasa site is a stereoscopic one of Eagle coming back to the Command Module. Unfortunately you need red and blue glasses to see it. We also must not forget the Command Module pilot Michael Collins. In my opinion he wrote the best book about the project. It was called 'Carrying the Fire'.
oldmohawk:)

I remember a night 45 years ago when I sat tensely listening to the first moon landing live. I remember the '1202' computer alarms but had forgotten about the frequent loss of signal during the descent and they used a computer which was so primitive by today's standards. Listen to the audio live and see the view out the window on the link below.
https://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/

43 years ago on Thurs 7th Dec 1972 the last visit to the moon started and Mission Duration was 12 days, 13 hours, 51 minutes, 59 seconds.
I remember watching it on and off over the 12 days much of it live - those Saturn 5 rockets were fantastic and the views of the mountains on the moon unbelievable at the time - they had a lunar rover - amazing days so long ago when we did not have laptops and mobile phones and most TVs were black and white ! Perhaps it was a waste of money but who knows ?

Back