• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Names of Pubs?

K

KeithH

Now the Bull Ring has been refaced, can anyone remember the name of the pub by the outside market, opposite the church and at the top of the spiral walkway?? I suppose it's gone :?: Any old regulars here :?:

There was another one opposite the Rag Market, again I suppose thats gone too :?:

And from a bit further back, not the Bull Ring this time, but Dale End. There was a pub that stood on a corner in Albert St., the front door was right a the "sharp end" of the corner, the pub was sort of wedge shaped :?:

Was that where that Chinese Restaurant was, "The Slow Boat", that was had-up for dishing up rats instead of chicken ?
:shock:

Pub Names

Keith, would the pub you mentioned have been either The Matador or The Toreador ?

Yes, the Red Lion.

Matador and Toreador - yes, but I think you have named them both here, but which was which??

:D Dirtyden did that restaurent really get had up for serving Rats :?: Because if so that would account for my Daughter's nick name at school 'RAT' and my son being called 'RAT'S Brother'. You see my Mom and her second husband took me there a few times and you've geussed it :idea: I always had the CHICKEN :(

The pub at the top of the ramp was the Matador, the other... you've guessed it, the Toreador.

The former was rather more civilised than the latter. I recall the Toreador had those western style swing doors breaking up the large drinking area. One night, I suppose to add bit of atmosphere, just like a John Wayne movie, some bloke came skidding under the doors without moving them. He slid to a halt at my feet, sparko! :shock:

The one who'd propelled him then came crashing through to see where he'd got to. All this entertainment was laid on free of charge. Those were the days - no hooligans then, were there? :wink:

Pomo ! It certainly was closed down; by the Public Health Dept. All over the Birmingham Mail it was (the news not the rat curry).
Can't recall if it was ever reopened later.

:wink:
At the bottom of the spiral ramp there is the (still) St Martin's book-gift shop with a meeting room above (where such as CND - YCND meetings were routinely held). Directly across that street, alongside the so-called Rag Market, was a tall neo Gothical tavern. I think that is the one a correspondent refers to. It was from the mid 1800s and, I think, three storeys (excluding attic). Wood floor, open hearth(s). Numbskull demolished.

The Chinese job was 'neath the absurd multi storey car park (where Prince Charles sat and did a water colour of the prospect therefrom towards the desultory Rotunda - his father opened the Bull Ring Shopping Centre as a put-up job from an insurance company - big sign above Habitat shop [as enter from ramp junction New and Corporation Streets]) - and yes, it was indicted for the rat and cat business.
Alongside was a nifty China shop. Then a Polish delicatessen, old established in the new format, beneath that absurd high rise alongside the old Moor Street station shunting yard [huge] (recall The Beehive?).
Opposite that deli were three or four octagonal glass sided kiosks.
The one directly opposite (first as you emerged from the subway, south to by The Slow Boat) was where Ikon Art Gallery started.

Does the present monolithical spread has framed photos of the progression from there to alongside the Alexander Theatre? Might just prove some sort of inspiration.

All those pubs, including such as The Gilded Cage and the one alongside under the ramp, by the lavatories, to New Street railway station and the shopping centre, were ersatz and, like so many, an exercise in the evisceration of the cultural heritage of the working people.

What about the Birmingham and Midland Institute and former Central Library. Also the original Birmingham University medical school at Chamberlain Square? That is, in a certain sense, just for starters.
This point out is by no means a sour indignation, all done bitter.
The nostalgia is ex post facto. The programme of wholesale decimation obtained under the noses of denizens without opposition.
While Snow Hill railway station might have been enough to make one vomit from the acrid fumes dense hung in maritime condensation
:?

The pub at the top of the spiral was most definately The Matador...i should know i spent many a Saturday dinnertime sitting outside with a bottle of pop and a packet of crisps whilst the 'old man' was having a skinful after our regular trip around the fish market and every so often popping my head inside to see if "we could get the 39 (bus) now".I suppose it was nice in a way for him not to have to worry about 'strange men'.Nothing like that ever happened to me - how times have changed ?

The Toreador was indeed rough and ready but for a while back in the 70s it was popular on weekday lunch times because they used to put on live entertainment with jazz bands etc.

Now you've got me going, I'm trying to remember another pub on the corner of Moat Lane opposite the church. They used to display paintings by local art students on the walls at one time and anyone who was interested could buy them. I think this was the same pub that hmld was talking about

Browsing through the Threads and came upon this one so thought this photo might remind the Matador fans of the long walk up the spiral for a pint.

Hi Dirtyden:)
The Slowboat was done for serving cats not rats my hubby worked in the market at that time and said they used to come in for all the rotten meat:shocked:

Colin
You Are Very Right On Target It Was The Matordore , In The BEGING, And The
Toridor Down Below By The Market , But You Forgot To Say Or Mentioned That
At The End Of The Day It Was Finealy Called The Blarney Stone Pub ,
It Was Renamed In The Eightys And On The Grand Opening Night Of Renaming
The Pub From The Matorodor To The Blarney Stone ,Which Was Owned By
Mr Liam Occonnor And Susan Is Wife Whom Also Own Alot Of Pubs Around The CountryAnd In And Around Brum ,Including The Kerry Man And OCC,S In Digbet
And Now The Tower Of Ballroom ,On The Opening Night
People Was Queing All Down The Ramp To Get In Because The Opening Guest
Was Big Jackie Charlton And AlanTowers Off The BBC And He Brought Along
A Comedian From Liverpool And The Public Could Not Get There Hands In There Pockets Quick Enough To Pay 25 Quid To Get Through Them Doors To See And Drink With Them Until 2,30 In The Morning, They Had This Pub The Blarney
Stone Right Up Till The Compulury Order For Clearance Of The Bull Ring
Long Before That Ending He Bought The Golden Cross At ASTON cROSS
Where My Old Man Ran That For Years Before Ansells Sold It Off
Liam Renamed It Oreillys As It Is Today ,How Do I Know That Well I Ran That
Blarney Stone Pub For HimAnd Sue , Sue Now Owns The Magpies Now I Believe Its Called Maggies In Hall Green , Hes Got Loads Of pUBS Around The B,hamArea Even The Brookhill Alum Rock By Old Southalls BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;

The Matador

In/around 1966, I bought myself the latest in overcoats (from Zissman's - where else?), a corduroy affair with ridiculously wide lapels in imitation of the style worn by The Kinks. That very evening I met my mate in The Matador, prior to sidling up to The Albany to check the talent. We had a pint or two, decided to make a move, and there was my lovely new coat - gone! Nicked off the pegs at the door by some other fashion-victim... I never went back.

The Toreador was a dump, a real cheap 1960's vinyl horror not frequented by the genteel drinker of the day.

My favourite pub in that part of town, a bit down Digbeth and then off to the left, was known locally as The Kelsey House on account of the sign of the long-defunct brewery that still adorned its portals. I can't remember the real name of the place, but it was an oasis for the genuine and dedicated gentleman drinker of those days.

Big Gee

hi

Another Red Lion. taken in 1938
I noticed the Beer was Alsops?
Our Families clain to Fame My Nans Sister
Leah Burton nee Dudley.
married a certain Bill Burton. Formerley he
was a big wig in the George Mason chain.
He strangely took over the Red Lion in
Walsal Wood. We visited her often it took
ages from Castle Bromwich. 161 into town
a 118 into Walsall then a trolley bus to Walsall
Wood. Alway's made us welcome.
Happy day's

Mike Jenks

Back