• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

N.H.S. Spectacle Frames / Glasses

My Dad had the brown ones on the top left, my brother had the brown ones for children.....fashionable now but not then!! Mom's were the pink ones on the right.
rosie.

Before I was allowed to start a paper round, at the age of 13, I was required to take a medical.
To my horror I was declared short sighted and presented with a pair of, what I think would've been, Model 223, (Harold Lloyd specials).
I never actually wore them in public but would sneak them out in the pictures if I thought none of my mates were looking.
They were !!

I think everyone got C223 on the NHS. I don't think I ever saw a chart or had a choice in the matter. They were generally a real pain because of the way the ends curl around to grab your ears with that metal knob on the end. I think they were so successful because they never fell off.

NHS specs. Never much of an advert for the NHS. Styles about 30 years behind the times, poor quality. Thankfully the £25 budget ranges sold by many opticians are light years ahead of the old NHS frames.

Back