• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

My Gt Grandfather, the Tram Driver/Inspector

A

aj_trouble

I have a few little bits and pieces on my Great Grandfather, George Whittingham, who was a Tram/Bus Driver/Inspector in Birmingham.

What I know of him so far is as follows...

born: July 1884
m: Lily Fanny Buckinham at the Register Office, B'ham on 29/9/1909
d: 13 March 1943

Residence:

1943 - 35 Rawlins Street, Birmingham listed as an Omnibus Inspector
Also lived in Rushton Street

I have attached a photo of him stood at the front of his Tram no 214, which I believe went from Dale End to Ashted Row. I do have some other information, but I am currently transcribing it from PC to my new iMAC!!!

Here is Car No 214 which has just reversed in Bordesley Green just by Blake Lane in 1938 on route no 12 which went from Bordesley Green and Hight St. via Deritend, nice view of the time clock, car no 198 is in the distance

Another one from around that area?....Saltley or Nechells....Bloomsbury Street.? I really don't know where...

Nice one John, Oh the smell of the Gasworks on my way to my Aunts:)

Trams are in Great Francis St. John looking at Saltley Gasworks
62 was To Great Francis St. only

Ta Graham......I have a few dozen tram photo's on my system from around the area.....I took them off a site which was once linked to VB a few years back....the problem is that I did not copy the details....so I haven't a clue to where the are....apart from the destination number....? I might start to put a few on the forum (when I get the time)...to see if the members can inform me where it is....The Trams are before my time....I prefer the old back loader buses......

John,I have a 2 hour video of the Trams in Brum so know their routes and a book with all the route numbers in, so if it has a route number should be able to work out where it is, if its an area I know.

Always like the tram photos and the topic in general. Thanks for posting the photos. I did notice the Bundy clock Cromwell. The bane of my existence when going to work and running late years ago. Those clocks were accurate and there was no denying that I hadn't started out to work early enough!:|

Trams

Not a reply as such but today I picked up a certificate awarded to Frank Howard Howdle in the Rag Market.It was awarded to him on 5th. Nov.1916 for knowledge of various things to do with the running of the trams.I bought it with the intention of giving it to the Archives section of the library but if there is anyone out there who is a relative of,and can supply proof of,their relationship with the said person I will be glad to give it to them.It is from the City of Birmingham Tramways Department and is signed by the instructor,whose name I can't read and by the general manager whose name looks like A.Walker.The certificate is numbered 539. BobS.:).

My Grandfather drove a tram in Birmingham. When my mom was young she used to have to take him his sandwiches each day and he'd give her a ride on his tram.
I'm not sure of his first name (could be George) but his surname was Leach.

He was also in the Coldstream Guards and he stood guard outside Buckingham Palace in his bearskin. My mom knew all the regiments by their buttons, (it's how they are grouped) he taught her.

Brigade of Guards

DribblinWizard.
For your info. the buttons are grouped as follows :
Grenadier in Singles
Coldstream Groups of Two
Scots Guards " of Three. The Premier Regiment (Mine)
Irish Guards " of Four.
Welsh Guards " of Five.
You Know now.
I'll tell you its Bl...y cold outside there with no clothes on.(Bearskin)
Regards George

Last edited by a moderator:
I love seeing posts on Birmingham Trams but does the person who posted it Aj Trouble its almost 18 months since he started it and has not been back since.:shocked:

Do you have any tram driver information about the following three people? My grandfather was about four years younger than your great grandfather. Hewas also a tram driver. His name was Charles Downard. He had colleagues named Clement Green and Richard Toon. Charles and Clem joined the army in 1914. Clem got through it; Charles was killed on the Somme in1916 an I know nothing more of Dick Toon but that he died of cancer in the 1940s.

Does anyone know if there was a Birmingham "Pals" group recruited for the First World War army from the tram organisation?

Back