• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

My great-Uncle, WW1

sistersue61

master brummie
img007.jpgThis is my Great-Uncle Jack, who won a bravery medal for rescuing his Commanding Officer under fire in 1917.
He emigrated to Australia in 1926,with his wife, Alice and in-laws and his first son John. he then had two other children, Kevin who died aged 20 from the brain disorder he was born with and Mary born 1935, who is still alive and well and who we stay in touch with, she says her dad rarely spoke about the war or Englaand and lost 2 of his medals when the boys posted them through the floorboards in Adelaide and he said they wren't worth retrieving!The braverymedal survived and there is apost on it on the forum. He died of lung cancer in 1965.
Sue

When I was a lad Sue I lived in Raglan Road Edgbaston, and in the garden was a large apple tree,(well to a small child it looked big) and I remember as if it was to-day my father nailing his war medals to that tree saying "its all there fit for", he was badly wounded at Salerno in 1943, and spent a year in hospital before soldiering on.
paul

Paul, that reminds me of my old dad, he received a notification to claim his war medals, he threw it on the fire saying " All the army ever gave me was bad knees and malaria"

Barrie.

I think that was one of the reasons Jack went to Australia, it was resented by his mom, especially as he was not a good correspondent, according to a copy of a letter she sent to his Mother in law who went with them to Australia. The letter is dated 1929 and great gran passed away a few months after it was written, but time sounded very austere and unemployment high.
I will ask hubby if he can rescan the letter and post it for you to look at.
Sue

Back