• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Music hall

Shelagh

Shelagh
Good evening to you all,I know you are all far too young to have gone to the music halls of yester-year,but would anyone know if there were registers of artists as on the 1881 census, we have found a relative that is down as a comedian and his wife an actress.I do not have her maiden name but she was born in Fife Scotland in 1856 ish,He was born Birmingham i 1848 ish,they were in Wolverhampton in 1881 AT least 2 Music Halls and one of their children was born in Middlesex,where there was several music halls.

I read there was a Music Hall Artist federation but this did not start till 1907 and those listed were all the well known people.I wondered if anyone had any ideas of how to trace them.

Thanks, Shelagh

There was a music hall pre WW2, called either The Empire or The Palace on the Coventry Rd, Bordesley were the flyover was and The Hippodrome was a music hall. Len.

Does anyone remember a music hall artist called Billy Randle?

Back