• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mucklow / De Vere (Devere) Family

MWS

from Bham
This is really interesting thankyou so I don't suppose you could help me with the mucklow side? My great grandad the reason its confusing is all the children took the Devere and not mucklow, I think as I said It can all get really confusing

Thread started for De vere82

James Edward Mucklow born 17 Oct 1908, was the son of James Mucklow and Harriet Annie Witheridge.

James and Harriet were married 25 Dec 1907, Bham. It was the second marriage for both. Harriet had 2 children from her first marriage to William Cotterill.

Apart from his 2 step siblings, James Edward had a sister, Ivy b1912.

Last edited:
James Mucklow was born 1855 Bham, the son of James Mucklow and Ellen Bevans. James and Ellen married 30 Nov 1851, St Phillip's, Bham

He had at least one brother and 5 sisters.

Both James and his father worked in the gun trade.

Last edited:
James Mucklow was born 1830 Bham, the youngest son of William Mucklow and Sophia Cubbage. William and Sophia married 24 Dec 1809, Aston.

He had at least 3 brothers and 2 daughters.

William Mucklow died before 1837 (possibly 1834), when Sophia re-married to a Richard Morton but she died in 1839.

And as William Mucklow died before the 1841 census that might be as far back as you can go with your Mucklows.

Last edited:
In regards your De Vere ancestors, was the De Vere name also assumed by Esther's father Thomas Wallace De Vere?

He doesn't seem to appear until the 1891 census when he is listed as the husband of a Clara Sweet, though they don't appear to marry. The 2 children are Clara's but they do have children before Clara dies and he marries Esther Baker.

Haven't be able to track Thomas down before 1891, my best guess is that he is a Thomas Wallace Yardley from Coventry but there are a number of them and it might just be a red herring. The son of John & Catherine is the most likely.

Marriage in 1886
Clara Sweet age 19 father Frederick
to
Arthur Lilly age 22 father William

Clara was born in Bath Somerset,the daughter of Frederick and Hester Sweet who appear to have moved around quite bit having children in B'ham , Bath, Bristol and Fulham, Frederick was a coach trimmer.

On the 1901 census 2 stepchildren with Thomas Devere in Rosebury road.
Arthur Lilley age 14 and William Lilley age 13 along with his 3 children
Henry 8, Clara 6 and Frank 3.

Throughout census records the name is either Lilly or Lilley.

Last edited:
In regards your De Vere ancestors, was the De Vere name also assumed by Esther's father Thomas Wallace De Vere?

He doesn't seem to appear until the 1891 census when he is listed as the husband of a Clara Sweet, though they don't appear to marry. The 2 children are Clara's but they do have children before Clara dies and he marries Esther Baker.

Haven't be able to track Thomas down before 1891, my best guess is that he is a Thomas Wallace Yardley from Coventry but there are a number of them and it might just be a red herring. The son of John & Catherine is the most likely.
Thomas Wallace de Vere was my great grandfather, he isnt a Mucklow. His father was John Leonard De Vere born around 1830. I haven’t been able to find out much more than that …

Thomas Wallace de Vere was my great grandfather, he isnt a Mucklow. His father was John Leonard De Vere born around 1830. I haven’t been able to find out much more than that …

I never said that Thomas was a Mucklow. As there seems to be an almost complete lack of the De Vere/Devere name in the region prior to 1891 (as you probably know) I was speculating on the possibility of it being an assumed name for some reason.

I mentioned the name Thomas Wallace Yardley (3 of them) mainly because of the forenames (which sometimes people keep them even when assuming a new surname) and, though they were born in Coventry, at least one moved to Bham with his family, one stayed in Coventry and the other disappears.

As I say it was just speculation, no proof.

Back