• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mount Street Nechells

Hi Dek;
happy new year to you ; yes this thread was covered before and some over the years and we did have pictures as well;
there should be some of the smiths stone and knight factory on there as well;
until some under handed people decided to shangi our forum ; for there later gains in our life
have a nicwe day astonian ;;; alan

Thanks a lot Louisa, Astonian and Dek

My mom has been real ill for a while now and this will put a little smile on her face, something nice to reminisce about.

Thanks a lot again

James

Hi james
did your mom work there or did you live around that area ; also i just want to say my late mother inlaw worked there in the canteen ; cooking for the work force there she lived down in st clements rd nechells just around the corner sop to speak
her nick name was nancy ; but her proper name was anne ; she was an irish lady ; best wishes astonian

H iAstonian

my mom grew up as a child there, Irene Hawkesford she lived at 13 Mount Street between 1949 till 1962 she told me her best friend was a young girl called Janet Blackmoor who lived on Butlin Street. I will ask her about Nancy thanks Astonian.

HI JAMES
Sorry to hear that your mom is rather ill and is suffering and i sincerely wish her well;
in eading your reply ; i think my wife knows the black mores and janet ; as my wife came from clements rd and she knew alot of people in butlin street
and as i said her mom worked in the factory canteen ; it was soon as you mentionedbutlin st that gave me the alarm to the name
i will asked today about the blackmores i think another one was a family the ali;s i think her name was janet as well my wife was a great mixer in her growing up years ; just like myself ; even thou it was not the nechells area i was and brought up on the lichfield rd
a couple guys i recall from nechells was the Nottingams from aston church rd oppersite postmans paint and the cunninham ; dennis
and the whills and lat of all the blackburns from crawford st as i remember ; best wishes astonian ;

I lived in Mount Street in the 1960's and worked at Smith Stone & Knight..but only for a short while..i worked with 3 other girls..can't remember their names..we were on the paper counting tables

I'm looking for Mount street on Old ordanance survey maps but my eyes are growning dim ;-(.
Can anyone tell me location of Mount Street please.

Thank you. Mmm, now I am unsure if this is the one I am looking for !
Possible that there is/was more than one Mount St ? One I'm looking for is in the Parish of St Paul's.

The mount st you require was converted in 1879 to be part of Newhall st, the part from Charlotte st to Graham st. It is shown in red below on the c 1889 map

map_c_1889_upper_end_NewHall_st2C_which_was_mount_St_in_1855.jpg

Thank you so much for posting this. Have now located on my map too.
So much for late night research, posting on a Nechells thread -Ooops
Bo

Hi all

With regards to my original enquiry, my mother sadly passed away 5 weeks ago. Any memories of her or my late grandparents would be awfully nice to hear right now.

13 Mount St.

Charles Hawkesford/ Edith Hawkesford or Irene Hawkesford. They all lived here during the 40's 50's and 60's. According to recollections from my grandparents (Charles and Edith) my uncle and aunt lived next door. There names were Albert and Ethel Hawkesford.

Many Thanks

James

H iAstonian

my mom grew up as a child there, Irene Hawkesford she lived at 13 Mount Street between 1949 till 1962 she told me her best friend was a young girl called Janet Blackmoor who lived on Butlin Street. I will ask her about Nancy thanks Astonian.
Hi James.. did your mother go to the ORATORY SCHOOL as my sister knew a girl by that name...

James..I'm so sorry but I have just seen your post about your mother passing away.. please accept my apologies and also my condolences...

Back