• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mount Pleasant off the Coventry Road

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Does anyone know if the dwellings in Mount Pleasant (off the Coventry Rd) have been replaced or are they still the same buildings which stood in the 1920s? Are / were(?) they flats or houses or a mixture? Was the Grove a block of flats or a courtor a row of houses?
Does anyone have any photos or even a description?

There was a row of Georgian houses at the front of Mount pleasant, facing onto Kingston Hill, they were demolished in the 70s
Mount Pleasant is still there. it's a Grove containing maisonettes. I haven't got a picture to hand but the maisonettes are of the same age and design as these, which are on Kingston Hill opposite Mount Pleasant

Thank you so much, Jerry. It means a great deal to know the sort of flats that my father lived in as a boy with his family. I enjoyed the Small Heath web site, too, particularly as it brought back some memories, though I only knew the exteriors of the buildings.

Coventry Rd at Mount Pleasant showing a little of its former Victorian / Edwardian elegance and charm.

Phil

SmallHeathKinstonHillCoventryRd.jpg

BordesleyExile

I think from your PM to me there may be some confusion over Mount Pleasant the uphill part at the start of Coventry Rd was known locally as Mount Pleasant after the road which can be seen at the center of the first photo. Mount Pleasant marks the site of the drive to Bordesley Hall which consisted of the Hall, thirty acres of grounds a deer park and an ornamental lake. A bit different from today.

Phil

SmallHeathMountPleasantKingstonHill.jpg

SmallHeathCoventryRdMitchellsPaperMill.jpg

Hello folks,

Wasn't the doctors surgery situated in one of the Georgian houses ??
No appointments in those days....just went along & took your turn !!

Margaret.

Yes, that is the same Mount Pleasant off Coventry Road that I have on my map. I understand it to be a small cull de sac so would I be right to assume that the pictures showing the wide road with the Edwardian /Victorian buildings were of the area of Coventry Road with the Mount Pleasant turn off? Thanks for your kindness.

Mount Pleasant, off the Coventry Road at Bordesley was within the Parish of St Bartholomew.

Phil

The Doctors Surgery was just past Mount Pleasant going up the Cov. Dr Brown and Dr McBrown..if I remember, Knock for Dr McBrown and Buzzer for Dr Brown.

Hi Beamish.

Just came across your post regarding Dr Browns surgery and it bought back all the terrors of sitting in the waiting room to see him with my Mom in the 1940s wondering if I would get the nice red linctus or the horrible brown one it was always one or the other it must have been a cure all.
I know it may be impossible but I wonder if you know the number of the Surgery as my G/G/Grandfather Stephen Mole ran his Joinery firm from number 66 from the 1850s to the 1880s before taking himself and family off to Australia.

Regards Steerboy

In 1971 there was the following:

141 Jones Mrs. Ethel Olive,
beer retlr​
...here is Mount Pleasant...​
161 Coles J . S., M.B., ch.B.
physcn.​
& eurgn

161 Brown G. S. M.B., ch.B

I should think this was the surgery
mike

Thank you so much Brummie Nick for the photo of Coventry Rd at the Bordesley Park junction. This helps me to visualise the immediate area where my father lived as a small boy and the area he would have walked with my grandmother, uncle & grandfather.
Find My Past / Ancestors on Board have records of people emigrating from England, though I do not personally have access. https://www.ancestorsonboard.com/
Cindi's list also has Australia links: https://www.cyndislist.com/austnz.htm
It is now possible to look up doctors on Ancestry, but it is necessary to know the first name & year. I was able to identify the Coventry Rd doctor who signed the death certificate of my grandmother when she died following childbirth - of course there are unanswered questions but I have learned from the Katherine Dreyfus Omnibus that in the early 20C unqualified midwives were often used to supervise home births and that ambulances did exist in those days.

Hi Mikejee.

Yes that's the address I was after, it looks like 66 Coventry Road was between Bordesley Park Road and Sandy Lane right at the bottom.

Many thanks Steerboy.

Hi bordesleyexile.....yes I remember Mount Pleasant I was born there in 1953 and continued to live there with my family until near the 1970's.

I have very fond memories of it as well as equally fond memories of the surrounding district.

I'm currently putting together pictures of my family from very early youth along with what shots I can muster together of what my area looked like from those very early years.

I very recently went back to Mount Pleasant (yes its still there) and took pictures.
Dispite the fact I have passed it many times in my car, it was superb to meet it personally once again...everything came back....the houses there are masonettes and lie and as they did when I was young.
With the exception of modern garden fencing...(u know the iron type) its scape remains strangely unchanged.

I will post some of the pics here very soon.

Hi Redken Thank you for the update. I shall look forward to seeing your photos. I had looked on Google Earth, but the maisonette numbers are either none existent, out of shot or indecipherable, so if you are able to clarify at all when you post that would also help.

if your looking for pics of mount pleasant, I have a good handful of them in my 'album' they were taken recently and other than new doors and windows they remain as they were when i was born there in 1953...they have been there longer than that of course.
if u have any difficulties leave me a message and i'l get bk to you.

redken

Hello Redken. I remember Mount Pleasant very well, I lived in Watery Lane and had a few mates who lived round there it would be nice to see some of your photos. I knew the Nattrass family, the Flint family and the Costello family. its brought back some good memories thinking of Mount Pleasant. all the best formula t.

Another photo of Mount Pleasant I picked up recently on my travels through the net, but I haven't got the slightest clue where.

Phil

SmallHeathKingstonHillCoventryRd-1.jpg

Thank you very much for sharing the photos Phil & Brummie Nick. Its good to have some visual insights into the area where my family lived.
Redken I have sent you a PM.

If it helps, I'm pretty sure there was a picture of the entrance to Mout Pleasant taken from directly opposite side of Kingston Hill, and possibly showing a white house, maybe an off licence just off the corner.

There were tower blocks just visible in the background (Arthur St area ??) so it would be taken early 70s as a guess. Trouble is I cant find it now..May have been a where is this. Certainly was within the last 12 months.

hi formula t

wow...i knew all the names you mentioned too...my elder brother paddy was particulary friendly with them...same age group and they hung out together a lot.

there was gary nattrass peter and keith flint and the cosello's certainly....first name escapes me...if you have any pics of anything intresting with these families....love to see em.
by the way i have shots of mount pleasant in my album here taken recently.

regards
redken

Hello Redken im sorry to say i dont have any photos of the lads or Mount Pleasant, I had an e mail off Gary Nattrass on Christmas Day he lives up by Kingshurst now.I remember your brother paddy, as we were about the same age, i think he had another brother named Alan he used to play football over kingston hill park sometimes with us. I lived. at 204 Watery Lane, then moved to the flats in Dart st for about six months before getting married and moving away. Had some great times round there. All the best formula t.

Hi formula t....just read ur message.
Yes ur right, there are 5 of us brothers...eldest first...john, eddy, paddy, alan, and my self ken.

Maybe u remember my sisters ...eldest first...kathleen, margaret, and the youngest of the bunch...my sister nancy.

Nice to hear about your times then.

Regards

redken

Thank you for you PMs, Redken. It would be great to know where 15 The Grove Mount Pleasant & 23 Mount Pleasant were. If they were both in one block might one address have more bedrooms than the other or might the difference be that of a garden? If you could give some advice that would be greatly appreciated.
I have attatched an aerial view of Mount Pleasant just to make things easier. If you can scan & post any photos that would be superb.
Shirley

Hope this is of help. don't ask me where no 26 went. Maybe it was a narrow houseover the alleyway.
mike

Back