• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley College....3rd Batt

3rd B'ham Bn Moseley

Hi Colin

Moseley College became the home of the 3rd B'ham Battalion (16th Royal Warwicks) from the end of October 1914 until April 1915.
Only around 600 men slept at the College the rest had to billet with local residents in the district. The Officers were all housed in a big old house near the College, which I think nowadays is a Social Club. After Easter 1915 the battalion moved to Malvern in a tented camp.
The dining room was once the swimming pool. It was boarded over to make the dining room.
Another picture in the lot being sold on Ebay is a group of some of the Officers of the 3rd Birmingham Bn. On visit I made to the college a couple of years ago, I took a photo from the very same spot. It is the windowof the headmaster's Study.

The men in your picture are wearing their dark blue uniforms which were issued in December 1914, this was due to the shortage of Khaki cloth. They changed over to Khaki around July 1915.
Hence the small photograph I use as my avatar, which is a City Battalion man in his blue uniform.

Terry

Last edited:
Back