• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Morris Burials

mksorsby

proper brummie kid
I am trying to find if my Uncles were buried, William Henry Morris b, 1909 and d.1909 and then Stanley Mertin Morris b.1910 qnd d. 1914 both children of Henry and Ada Morris of St, Andrews Road Aston, thankyou

If you search here: https://birminghamburialrecords.co.uk/

There is only one Stanley and that is Yardley Cemetery but there are quite a number of burials for William - one at Yardley. If you contact the cemetery they should be able to tell you if they are the ones you are looking for.

Once again thanks so much for this, I am learning such alot from this site and the people on it. Thank you.

I just looked up Elizabeth Callow and she is listed in a public grave Key Hill - C 310. Would you know why this is please.

Alison

the public graves were for people who could not afford to have their own burial spot and could have more than 100 other people buried with them..i have a rellie buried in a public at key hill and i think there were about another 80 buried with her..

lyn

I have found this https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/213179467/elizabeth-callow#view-photo=209085003

Thought that might be the case about the money and being able to afford a gravestone but just thought in that case it would be an unmarked grave. But how did this work? If they all died at different dates how would their names be put on one gravestone.

no gravestones im afraid but there maybe just one on some just to acknowledge those buried there and some may have had a few names on them...

lyn

They had to pay extra money to have the name put on the communal gravestone if there was one. The stone wasn't put on until the grave was filled up, I think there was some sort of trapdoor over the space until then. I hope Keyhill Brian notices this and can explain better!! Many of "mine" in Key Hill and Warstone are in public graves but only one is mentioned on a gravestone.
I've just checked and Great Grandfather is in C311!! (no stone)
rosie.

How interesting. There seem to be quite a few of mine there too. Wish I lived nearer to explore the cemetery and perhaps locate them. I guess in a place like Birmingham there must be quite a few communal gravestones. I guess there could be quite a few dated around c.1919 with the Spanish Flu perhaps.

Back