• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moor St Steam Engine

I am surprised that they did not just attach a train or something like it to the steam train and tow it out of the station or am i just being to logical the cost of blocking of the street and the cost of the hire of the crane must have been great, against just towing it out

It was brought by a Birmingham Consortium (believed to be Vintage Trains) last year but the planned removal in January this year never took place
https://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2531&sid=2bd4701fff3b956a7d23252e46356291

Colin

The small section of track it sat on was not connected to the main line, there were plans to connect it at one stage and then the platform would be used by Vintage Trains for their rail tours, as it was for display only, it was only cosmetically preserved so perhaps the running gear would not be up to being towed.

Colin

Would expect Network Rail wouldn't have allowed it to run on its track after standing so long

I took some final pics of it (in daylight hours - not around Moor Street after midnight)

My last ever pic of it from within the station

What are they going to use that piece of track for now?:emptiness:
The extension to the Metro. These are hard times and we need to make savings wherever we can and if they're not used immediately they'll be off to some tatter's yard.

On a very slight tangent (apologies) ... There was a documentary on the Flying Scots Man ? last week .... and the money it takes to keep that steam train maintained and in working order ? ... gosh ... its definately a labour of love ... I'm guessing that it takes less to keep them in non-working order .. but even so still perhaps a cost tho.

Maybe use it one day for the Camp Hill line?

Or as a 5th platform for Chiltern Railways?

The Metro can't go there.

Back