• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moor Lane by Witton Cemetery

I drank in this pub on coranation day I was on embarkation leave.Played darts for them in the late sixties.
Any one remember the Marshells they lived in cottages by canel back of the pub, in 1940s.

My nan lived in one of the cottages called Florence Hudman married to Walter, their children Kathy, Jessie, Winnie, Bessie, Walter and Roger. my father Walter known as Wally knew Jim and Harriet Groves. Also the first cottage on the corner was my fathers uncle who was called Chriss Goodman. and prior to him living their my fathers grandparents lived in the cottage, which I have photos. My father is friends with Mr Maurice Wells who lived on the grounds of the Lucas ground fields, which his parents lived in the bungalow.
Hi there I am Michael Flanagan, I Lived at 11 Rose Cottages, next to the Hudman family. Roger was my age, if I remember correctly he emigrated to Australia. The cottages were two rows of six houses. I remember the Prosser's at 10, the Marshall's at 9, Hopkins family at 8, I can not recall the name of the lady at 7.
My Corbett grandparents lived at 12 Moor Lane, family Groves at 14 or 15. Chris Goodman, the last house in the row before a gap to the stonemason Keenan and further The Safe Harbour. The Barratt family lived at 10.
I remember Billy, Maurice and Ann Wells.
I researched my family at Ancestry.com, I found electoral rolls for Moor Lane, all the family names I remember-Hunt-Ballard-Jester-Bowen etc.

My nan lived in one of the cottages called Florence Hudman married to Walter, their children Kathy, Jessie, Winnie, Bessie, Walter and Roger. my father Walter known as Wally knew Jim and Harriet Groves. Also the first cottage on the corner was my fathers uncle who was called Chriss Goodman. and prior to him living their my fathers grandparents lived in the cottage, which I have photos. My father is friends with Mr Maurice Wells who lived on the grounds of the Lucas ground fields, which his parents lived in the bungalow.
Mike Flanagan here, I lived at 11 Rose Cottages, next to the Hudman family at 12. Roger was about my age, if I remember correctly he emigrated to Australia.
My Corbett grandparents lived at 12 Moor Lane, Fred and Harriet Groves at 14 or 15, Chris Goodman the last house before a gap to four more houses.
I remember Billy, Maurice and Ann Wells.

My father was good friends with all the Baratt family, Walter Hudman and Roger Hudman.
The 1955 electoral roll has Fred and Harriet at 15, Chris Goodman at 18. At 8 Rose Cottages William and Rose Hopkins, at 7 Mrs Hansford. May I ask the name of your father?
Thanks Mike

I found a record of my grandparents wedding in 1919, they both lived at 13 Moor Lane. Frederick Hudman was a witness. In 1955 at 12 Rose Cottages lived Walter, Florence, Bessie and Walter junior.
Walter senior would have worked with my grandfather Jack Corbett at Witton Cemetery.
The Moor Lane and Rose Cottages have the same people from 1920 to 1945, but some of them alternate between houses, maybe due to the war,

#34. It was Jim and not Fed Groves.
You are correct-at 15 Moor Lane-Frederick Groves, also on the 1955 Electoral Roll-Florence Groves-Harriet Groves-James Groves.
For anyone interested in Moor Lane families on the 1955 Electoral Roll, they are-
1 Paget
2 Hunt
3Coley
4 Hall
5 Copestake
6 Jester
7 Ballard
8 Smith and Harris
9 Smith and Goldby
10 Barratt
11 Sandoz
12 Corbett
13 Bowen
14 Hunt
16 Carter
17 Thomas
18 Goodman
19 Parkes
20 Buckingham and O'Carroll
21 Worsey
22 Parker

At Rose Cottages-
1 Wheeler
2 Boon and Whitmore
3 Whitmore
4 Hughes
5 McNamara
6 Keay and Schreiber
7 Middleton
8 Hopkins and Davis
9 Marshall
10 Prosser
11 Flanagan
12 Hudman

Jim and Harriet were my dads cousins. After my dad passed away my mom still visited them on a regular basis. They were very kind people.

My dad remembers the Marshells

Hi Mike Flanagan ex 11 Rose Cottages here. Ask you dad if he remembers the Flanagans.
I remember Roger Hudman, he went to Australia.
If you look at electoral rolls for Moor Lane, the pub is the Witton Hotel.
Your dad may remember publicans Jimmy Logan and William Dugdale.

Yes I remember both of them I used the pub from 1952 till 1964.
The people I remember are marshalls they went to Marsh Hill school the same time as me and my brother.
the older one was Jonny.
We used to swim in the cut by the cottages.
Kembar

Hi Carole.Two mates of mine were grave diggers their name was Rake I think they were Ken & Tony.

My Wife's aunt, Ann Jester lived at either 6 or 7 Moor Lane. Her cousins Patricia & Roger - Twins, were born there. Nice place until the Motorway went over the top!
Plenty of passing traffic - mostly inwards over th road.
He Uncle kept a Jackdaw, of all things!
Brian

My Wife's aunt, Ann Jester lived at either 6 or 7 Moor Lane. Her cousins Patricia & Roger - Twins, were born there. Nice place until the Motorway went over the top!
Plenty of passing traffic - mostly inwards over th road.
He Uncle kept a Jackdaw, of all things!
Brian
Pat and Roger Jester lived at 6 Moor Lane. I remember when Roger left school he was apprenticed as a foundry patternmaker.
Mike Flanagan

We still keep in touch with Pat - she lives on Brookvale round on the Outer Circle not a million miles away, We'll remember you to her.
Only see Roger at Funerals now - usual case. Always look at the cottages as we see Witton cemetery when on the M6 Northbound - they seem so out of place with the Motorway and Industrialisation of Moor Lane.

We still keep in touch with Pat - she lives on Brookvale round on the Outer Circle not a million miles away, We'll remember you to her.
Only see Roger at Funerals now - usual case. Always look at the cottages as we see Witton cemetery when on the M6 Northbound - they seem so out of place with the Motorway and Industrialisation of Moor Lane.
Hi Key Hill Brian the cottages long gone you see the houses-1 to 18 I think. Harold and Annie Jester lived at 6 Moor Lane, my grandparents, the Corbett's at 12 Moor Lane. I lived at 11 Rose Cottages with mum and dad, Nancy and Jack and brother Trevor.
Moor Lane was a bit of an unusual place to live. Starting from the Brookvale Road end there was The Destructor-incineration plant for solid waste, followed by waste land we called the tip. Then a yard with road repair material belonging to the council. Then started the houses. Number 1 was a shop run by a Mrs Paget. The houses ran to the pub and onto an opening. Down the opening to the cottages. Past the opening more houses, then the prefabs. Up a slight hill to Lucas Sports Field gate, with workshops and the Bungalow for Mr Wells, the ground keeper, then on with football pitches to College Road. With the cemetery on one side and the canal on the other, we were a bit isolated.
I left England in 1967 for Johannesburg where I live. But I get back to visit mum 91, brother Trevor 67, my mate Eric Jones-we met age 15 on way to GEC for apprentice interview, and of course Aston Villa-will be watching the game at Newcastle this afternoon on satellite TV.
I look forward to hearing if Pat remembers me.
Regards Mike

Hi. Do you remember who the landlord was when you were there on coronation day? My grandfather (former Villa player Joe Beresford) ran the pub in the early 50s. Here's a pic of him and his wife Ivy flanked by two members of staff in the pub (then called The Witton Hotel). It was an Ansells Brewery pub and when they retired from the trade they moved into one of the terrace houses on Moor Lane which were owned by Ansells...
Pub.jpg

Wife seems to recall going in as a child with her parents visiting her Aunt - says she recalls a Sheep out back?????????

Brian

Hi. Do you remember who the landlord was when you were there on coronation day? My grandfather (former Villa player Joe Beresford) ran the pub in the early 50s. Here's a pic of him and his wife Ivy flanked by two members of staff in the pub (then called The Witton Hotel). It was an Ansells Brewery pub and when they retired from the trade they moved into one of the terrace houses on Moor Lane which were owned by Ansells...
View attachment 91191
Ex footballers ran the pub yes I remember Joe and Jimmy Logan and William Dugdale who played for WBA, he had two beautiful daughters.
Great days. Mike

Ex footballers ran the pub yes I remember Joe and Jimmy Logan and William Dugdale who played for WBA, he had two beautiful daughters.
Great days. Mike

Thanks Mike, that's useful info as I'm researching my grandfather's life and was trying to find out who else had the pub and also, what year did it change name from The Witton Hotel to The Safe Harbour. I think it's around 1969, but am not sure. I know that Joe worked for Ansells and that it was an Ansells pub when he was there. Cheers, Dean.

Mike… was it not Jimmy Dugdale, as I've read that he became a publican in Witton in 1963? Just found out that Jimmy Logan had the pub from 1939-1950 and played for The Villa from 1905-1912. Regards, Dean.

Mike… was it not Jimmy Dugdale, as I've read that he became a publican in Witton in 1963? Just found out that Jimmy Logan had the pub from 1939-1950 and played for The Villa from 1905-1912. Regards, Dean.

HI Dean yes it was Jimmy Dugdale. For my family search I use ancestry.com. The site has the electoral rolls for Moor Lane from 1920-1955. The Witton Hotel has Thomas Vaughn there in 1920 and 22. Last record Bert Oldham 1955.
Anyone out there remember Sunny View Huts or Camp at the end of Moor Lane, by College Road. Regards Mike[QUOTE/]

Back