• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Monkey Run

chipmonkey

proper brummie kid
When i told my dad we were going up town on a Saturday night he always said "up the monkey run i suppose."

Anyone with any ideas where exactly was the monkey run?

Hi,

The monkey run I remember started alongside Bromford railway bridge, and was a footpath
which ran alongside the railway, and I believe used to finish at the bottom of Common Lane,
Washwood Heath. I remember it as just a dirt track, fenced off from the railway.

Kind regards

Dave

i remember my aunt saying she and her mate use to go on the monkey down newtown to meet the boys
josie

I understand a monkey run to be a pub crawl not a particular place or any pubs in particular I think it's just an old expression for a pixx up

Hi All,

Every district had its Monkey Run (Maybe still has). Usually the main road with shops and possibly cinema and the youngsters (teenagers) would walk along in small groups the girls ogling the boys and the boys ogling the girls. It was a way of making new friends of the opposite sex and in many cases led to courtships and eventually marriage. It was all completely innocent but sometimes did lead to a bit of harmless snogging. My local Monkey Run was Coventry Road from Muntz Street to Cattell Road.

Old Boy

Last edited by a moderator:
Our monkey run was Newtown Row, and High Street, Aston, we would walk up on one side of the road and back down on the opposite side, if it was wet we used to go into Blacks, the shop was shut but there was a big entrance with glass "boxes" which had clothes etc., displayed in them and plenty of mirrors to check your hair, the lads were the worst getting their combs out and flicking their hair back. We also used to go in the amusement arcade opposite the Globe cinema.

I meet my hubby on the Monkey Run 43 years ago ours started at the Roebuck in Bromsgrove and finished at the Golden Lion it was the A38 then now pedestrianised....

Our 'Monkey Run' started at the junction of Cattell Road & Coventry road and went all the way to Small Heath Park.

Nick

Our Monkey Run started at the Soho/Villa Road junction and went all the way up to the Regal Cinema near the junction with Holyhead Road.

Hi,

The monkey run I remember started alongside Bromford railway bridge, and was a footpath
which ran alongside the railway, and I believe used to finish at the bottom of Common Lane,
Washwood Heath. I remember it as just a dirt track, fenced off from the railway.

Kind regards

I remember that 'monkey run' too, looks like it's still there. I go past on the train if I'm going to Nottingham or Leicester on the train. Don't think I'd venture down there on my own now though!

The monkey run was mainly the high street of every district thus we in Erdington when we were lads always said see you up the monkey run !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back