• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Monastery Drive/Bishops Close Name Origins?

SquattersWrongs

Brummie babby
I don't suppose any of you know why the 'new build' roads just off George Road opposite the park are called this?

Lots of weird old masonry bits and bobs in the undergrowth on the scrub land bit by the magnet/under spaghetti which i've never been able to figure out what is from...

There doesn't seem to be anything on any maps of the Upper Witton area from the 18th century onwards, so if there was a monastery there, I wonder what area it fell under at the time?
1609551441081.png

I would have thought that the sites of all the Monastery’s in the UK were well documented, despite the best efforts of Henry Vlll to obliterate some of them completely from the landscape.

Oscott College is a well-known landmark that from memory can be seen for quite some distance away. It may have been influential in the naming convention. It was certainly known locally as the Monastery when we were kids.

The area around the Magnet clubs was as I recall highly industrialised, most of it being bulldozed away for spaghetti junction.

Unless the land was once owned by All Saints Church and they had some input into the names?
1904 map with red marker where Bishops Close is today.
1609594574794.png
The site later seems to have been MEB offices.

Great shout Janice!

Walked down that 'new' estate today and noticed that huge drop off in the land as seen in your map. Such a dramatic landscape if it was all stripped back again.

Back