• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Molesworth Oliver

Brummie On Exmoor

master brummie
I have one of my many MOLESWORTH family strands, living in King's Heath in the early 19th Century.

An Oliver MOLESWORTH (one of several in my family and born in Coughton, Warwickshire in c1793) married Elizabeth JAMES (born in Sambourne) in St Martin's in February 1812. Oliver was a Shoemaker all his life. They appear to have moved to King's Heath pretty soon after their marriage, and to have lived there all Oliver's life.

They had 6 sons and twin girls in King's Heath between 1818 and May 1832, and all the children were Christened in St Mary's Parish Church, Church Row, Moseley. Later, their youngest son Isaac had a son Christened there too. Some of the children also married at St Bartholomew's, Edgbaston.

I know that Oliver died in King's Heath on 16 September 1848, but I cannot find his burial. He was not buried in St Mary's. Also, three children, Ezra (b 1820), Catherine (b 1824) and Joseph (b 1827), all disappear before 1841, so probably died as babies or children. But again, I can find no sign of their deaths. (Note: The search for Joseph is complicated by the presence of another Joseph, 2 years his junior, born to a cousin of Oliver, living in Aston in 1841 and married in Edgbaston in 1851.)

Please can anyone advise me about where my missing MOLESWORTH burials might have taken place. I have searched the images online on Ancestry and it was not in either St Mary's or St Batholomew's. Which other church is a possibility in this period? - it is too early for Key Hill or any other Cemetery.

Many thanks

Jane

At a guess, I would suggest St Nicolas, King's Norton is probably the nearest to Kings Heath that would be open at the time. It's hard to say really, as you don't mention which part of King's Heath they lived in. If it was me, I would try St Nicolas first.

Shortie

Thanks for the suggestion Shortie.

I have looked on Ancestry, and again, they have the Burial records for St Nicolas, King's Norton online. And I have checked but there are none of my MOLESWORTHs buried there for the period.

Unfortunately, I don't know where exactly the family lived in King's Heath, as the records - Christening, 1841 Census - are not specific.

Best wishes

Jane

In 1848 Kings Heath came under Worcestershire and so the record may not be on Ancestry. This may depend on where in Kings Heath they lived.

Janice

Hi Janice,

Yes, it is Worcestershire and King's Norton Reg. District, and I am pretty sure that that is the case regarding records not being there, which is why I have been unable to locate the burials on Ancestry. The images of Parish Records on Ancestry are only of any use for elimination purposes - ie if the Church records ARE imaged on Ancestry, then my bunch are NOT buried there, as their burials are not listed in Ancestry burial records for Birmingham. Nor are they on the National Burial Index on Find My Past. Nor are they on FamilySearch. So I am looking for any possible location which is NOT featured in these records.

Sadly, Worcestershire is very badly served in online records, as I am sure many Brummies are very well aware. The same is true of Staffordshire.

Best wishes

Jane

Jane, from my own experience, I know that all records are not on Ancestry. I don't know how they are actually uploading them, but take my gt grandfather, for instance. I have seen the film of his baptism entry, which was at St George's Church in Hockley, and I have his marriage certificates (he married twice at the same church), but none of these records are on Ancestry. Other ones from my family are there, but not all, so I am assuming that they only put a few on at a time and the rest are waiting to be uploaded. I am finding this very frustrating indeed. All I can suggest is that you hang on in there, because they all turn up eventually!

Shortie

Hi Shortie,

Yes, I have found some BMDs for Birmingham Churches do not feature at all in the Ancestry images, and some, for example St Mary's Moseley, finish stupidly early (in 1850 in the case of St Mary). I also know, from talking to people at the BMSGH Office, that there are some big errors in the Bhm records that do appear. So I have been through St Mary's, St Barts and now St Nicolas images by hand, and the requisite years DO appear to be there, but there is no sign of my lot. But as you say, with Genealogy, we learn to wait in hope don't we!

Thank you for your help and advice.

Best wishes

Jane

No Molesworth on Kings Heath All Saints Church Memorials Inscription list
Brandwood End Cemetery didn't open until 1895

Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Brummie
I am looking for the burial records for William George Hogan 1966,his wife Gladys 1941,daughter Rita L 1941.all in same grave at St Nicolas Kings Norton.
I have looked at the Church web site and they charge £15 to do a search win or lose.
What section of Ancestry will show these records?
Regards
John Hughes

Dear John
The burial records for St Nicolas, Kings Norton, for these dates, are not available on Ancestry. I have them on a recently purchased CD, from BMSGH.
Only three Hogan burials are recorded and they are as follows:

21/08/1941 Rita Ludlow Hogan, aged 12, 191 Longbridge Lane
23/02/1966 William George Hogan, aged 72, 191 Longbridge Lane, Northfield
06/04/1984 Gladys Hogan, aged 82, Battlefield House, Bromsgrove: service held at St John the Baptist, Longbridge

all in same grave - Sect L, Row8, D25

Regards
Andy Parkes

Last edited:
I am most great full Andy.that is all I need.Some time soon hope to pay a visit there
Regards
John Hughes

Just to add a bit of extra detail to Andy PARKES' reply above, St Nicolas Burial records on Ancestry finish in 1922. St Mary, Moseley finishes in 1850, St Laurence, Northfield in 1856 and St Bart's, Edgbaston in 1887. There are of course, a number of other Birmingham and Aston Churches listed, but not every one is listed.

Best wishes

Jane

Hi Blenheim,

Many thanks. I have the second Oliver's Death Certificate, but yes, the fact that it shows the age on the actual index, for the early deaths, is very interesting.

I am still looking for those missing Burials, and sadly even the Certificate gives no clue.

Best wishes

Jane

Hi Brummie
shortie was correct you can register yourself for free on the General Reg Offiice & get some of the information for free.
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
View attachment 112586 I hope this helps

Hi again Blenheim,

Wanted to say a big thank you, now I have had time to fully explore the import of what you said.

Although I am quite an old Genealogy hand, I had not spotted the innovation that you refer to, on the GRO site, and although it is not really a help for this particular problem, it is a HUGE general improvement on both deaths and births. Although the actual extra info is quite minor, it will make ordering certificates so much less problematic, and save waste, and also allow searchers to gather useful additional info without needing to send for the certificate. I think it will prove especially useful in looking for those poor little kids who, in Victorian cities especially, were born and died between 2 consecutive censuses. I hope that I would have spotted this service eventually, but thank you so much for surfacing this for me.

Best wishes

Jane

Back