• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Missing War Memorials

Old Boy

master brummie
Hi All,

The wonderful thread, posted and worked on by Lyn (Astoness) titled 'These Heroes Were nearly Forgotten' reminds me of an incident in my life.

As a youngster I was a members of the Boy Scouts. For a period we used to meet in Jenkins Street School, Small Heath. In the hall was a wooden plaque bearing the names of former pupils who had been killed in the Great War (now known as WW1) On this plaque was the name of my uncle, Arthur John Beresford killed in action on 28th August 1917. I pointed this out with some pride to my fellow scouts,

Fast forward to a time after WW2 when I had occasion to visit the school on duty as a police officer and I went into the hall particularly to see the plaque again.
It was missing. Apparently the hall had been decorated two or three times after WW2 and the plaque had presumably been taken down and not replaced. Neither the headmaster or the caretaker ever knew that the plaque had once existed. I was quite sad but accepted that these things happen. However, I feel that all schools should have memorials to expupils who have sacrificed their lives so that we could grow old. It would give the present day youngsters something to think abouit.

Old Boy

Hi Old Boy

Sadly a large number of Birmingham War Memorials have dissapeared over the years. There is a Arthur John Beresford Machine Gun Corps from Small Heath mentioned in the Birmingham Roll of Honour and is also mentioned in the National Roll of The Great War 1914-18 Section VI Birmingham.
BERESFORD A.J, Private M.G.C. He was called up from the Reserve at the outbreak of war in August 1914,and was drafted to France the following March. On the Western Front he fought at the Battles of Neuve Chapelle, Hill 60, Ypres, Loos, the Somme, Arras, Vimy Ridge and Lens, and was killed at Poperinghe on August 28th 1917. He was entitled to the 1914-15 Star and the General Service and Victory Medals. 44 Carlton Road, Small Heath, Birmingham.

Tony

Hi Tony,

This is another I missed and I am sincerely sorry. Yes, the Arthur John Beresford you tell us about was indeed my uncle. He was actually killed at Wielge, Passchendale. I have managed to visit his grave a few times.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Back