• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Missing Irish on B'ham 1871 census

anne bernadette

proper brummie kid
Has anyone else had problems finding records for Irish immigrants to B"ham in 1871 census?
My Gt gt gf - John Gibbons, born 1837 Westport, Co Mayo features on the 1881 census at Price St, B"ham. My gt gf - Peter Gibbons is shown as 11yrs old on census and I have found his birth, registered in B"ham for 1870, and his baptism at St Chads Cathedral, however his younger brother, William born 1872, and his elder sister Mary Catherine born 1866 are nowhere to be found- as is the marriage for John Gibbons and his wife Harriet nee Smith.
From the baptismal records from St Chads there are another family of Gibbons :patrick and Mary and they are no where to be found either. ( as are various Godmother's listed).
Were there gaps for some of the back-to-backs near St Chad's during 1871 does anyone know?

could these be some of your family in 1871 in farm st. bham

patrick gibbins 21 labourer b. ireland
mary gibbins 22 b.bham
mary a. 6 mths b. bham

they were lodging with a smith family

Shera
I've had a look, and yes they certainly look like the family who had Mary Ann christened at St Chads the same day as my Gt gf Peter.
The head of the Smith family - John also comes from Co Mayo, which if this is a member of our family is where Patrick would have come from too.
Thanks ever so much for your help.
best wishes
Anne

thats great, i thought it would be a coincidence to be lodging with a smith family!

the marriage of john gibbons could be the one 1865 oct-dec in aston as it does not have a corresponding wife. maybe harriett smiths entry is illegible??? just a thought anyway.

Back