• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Missing from cesus returns -- another conundrum

Ann Steiner

master brummie
Amongst the many puzzles being encountered since getting back to my research are people missing from census counts.

In the 1841 census I believe I have 2x grt-grandfather Thomas T. Harman in the Thornbury Union Workhouse, age 15, in Gloucestershire.

I have Elizabeth Craddock, his wife-to-be, age 20, living with her parents in Birmingham.

In the 1851 census, I cannot find Thomas T., but Elizabeth is still with her parents in Birmingham.

They married in 1854.

In the 1861 census, I have both of them, and their three children (including my problem child Celia, who was mysteriously born in Wexford, Ireland).

In the Birmingham city directories for 1862, I have Thomas at two different locations during the year – living at Nursery Terrace on Villa Street, and on Heath Road in Harborne.

In the 1871 census, Thomas is at The Feathers Inn, in Coleford, Gloucestershire, a lodger, “out of employment.”

No where in the 1871 census have I as yet been able to find Elizabeth and the three children.

In the 1881 census ALL of them are missing! Yet in 1885, a book is published that Thomas co-authored.

In the 1891 census, Thomas and Elizabeth, along with Celia, reappear in Erdington.

In 1893 Thomas dies, followed by Elizabeth in 1895.

Are there sections of the 1851, 1871 and 1881 census returns missing?

If not, how do people just not be anywhere to be counted? From what I read in other peoples’ research, this is not uncommon I guess, but can anyone offer any ideas or suggestions on why they might be missing -- or other places to hunt for them?

Ann

1871 151 William Street - Recorded as HANNON
Thomas Harman - printer's compositer B1830 Cheltenham, Gloucester
Elizabeth Harman - milliner and dressmaker B1826 Bham
Thomas R Harman - jeweller B1855 Bham
Celia Harman - milliner (recorded as Cecilia) B1859 Wexford, Ireland
Francis Harman - B1861 Bham
Arthur E Harman - B1863 Bham

Suzanne

1881 408 Bristol Road recorded as HANNON
Thos. R Harman B1855 Bham Jewellers factor
Thos. T. Harman B1831 Prestbury Gloucester News Advertg Agent - father
Eliz. Harman B1824 Bham - mother
Cecillia Harman B1859 Wexford Ireland - sister
Francis harman B1861 Bham - surveyor's clerk - brother
Saml. Warren b1836 bedfordshire - lodger

Suzanne

Oh bless your heart, Suzanne!!!

Yup -- there they all are, for 1871 and 1881 both! With additional information on them that I didn't know about before -- especially the birth of a third son, who apparently didn't survive childhood.

Strange how the father, Thomas T was listed in two places for the 1871 return -- both in Birmingham and Gloucestershire, but I'm guessing the returns must have been taken on different dates in the two places perhaps? and he was in Gloucestershire briefly, maybe visiting family.

Thank you SO much! One less lump on my head now from banging away on brick walls.

Ann

Glad to help Ann:)

Are you sure the 1871 for Thomas T in Goucestershire is him? Is the occupation the same?

Suzanne

Ahh! I see it now. Perhaps he was in Gloucester looking for work but his wife told the enumerator he was at home?

That was my thought -- he was in Coleford looking for work or looking up relatives (since he was originally from Gloucestershire), and his wife gave the enumerator his name as well in Birmingham. What a guy -- able to be in two places at once!

Thanks again.

Ann

Back