• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Milton Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. would anyone have any old photos of milton street please. it was sandwiched in between summer lane and newtown row. only a small street so photos may be hard to come by. many thanks. wales.

wicked picture postie. didnt think i would have any luck with that one. thanks ever so. wales

michael. what a coinsidence. i asked for this photo for someone who lived at number 41 in the 50s. wales

hi again michael. just been talking to my friend and it wasnt he who lived at 41 milton st it was his gt gt grandmother. second name was wyton he cant remember her 1st name. he was born in high street. wales

Come up Trumps again Postie

Wales, Milton Street joined Newtown Row with Summer lane, I was born almost opposite it in St Stephen's Place.

The only thing I remember about Milton Street was we had a Bonfire Party on VE or VJ day in the wood yard on the side of the Street the Bank was on. I would be 8 at the time. The same year my Late Sister got knocked down by a Car outside the same Bank, happily she survived that.

hi alf. giving yer age away now ha ha. yes i had read that there was a bank on the corner. apparently is was quite a building. you know what alf i wonder if my children when they are older will have so many stories and tales to tell of their childhood as people on this site. somehow i doubt it. be nice to get a pic of the bank. wales

Morning Wales yes I am.

I'm waiting to see a photo of that Bank on the Forum don't think I've seen one.

Yes it was a big bank well it looked like it when John and myself were smaller.

Its got a place in our family History due to fact that my Sister had her accident right outside it. Mom told me that some of the Staff ran out of the Bank when it happened.

Newtown%20Newtown%20Row%20Nr%20Milton%20St%201960.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the 1901 census for my step grandfather (Daniel Ridding aged 27 here)
41, Court 1 House, Milton St
Daniel RIDDING, 49, Birmingham, Warwick, England, Head, gun action filer, employer
Maria RIDDING, 48, Birmingham, Warwick, England, Wife
Daniel RIDDING, 27, Birmingham, Warwick, England, Son, gun action filer, worker
Louisa RIDDING, 20, Birmingham, Warwick, England, Daur, press worker
Amy RIDDING, 18, Birmingham, Warwick, England, Daur, brass polisher

Morning Wales yes I am.

I'm waiting to see a photo of that Bank on the Forum don't think I've seen one.

Yes it was a big bank well it looked like it when John and myself were smaller.

Its got a place in our family History due to fact that my Sister had her accident right outside it. Mom told me that some of the Staff ran out of the Bank when it happened.

Alf

this is the best I can find at the moment, but the bank is in the photo on the left.

Phil

miltonstreet coronation day.jpgmiltonstreet coronation day.jpg

hi all. nice photo pmc. i have a photo of what must be the whole of milton street having a street party on ve day. i got it off a guy who lived there and also his gt grandmother lived there. they lived number 41 and ive just found out also number 11 just out of shot on the 1st photo posted. (or maybe we can just see the edge of it. anyway i will try and put it on the site. wales

hi all. had a senior moment. the above photo is taken on coronaton day not ve day as i 1st thought. hope you like it michael. wales

Thank you Chris thats the first Photo I posted on the Forum, The Barber is next door and the Pub Red Lion where Mom would drag Dad out most nights.

I'm sure the Garage moved to the Corner of Summer Lane & New John Street if I'm wrong tell me

Hi Alf, yes the photo (not the Coronation Party) has been posted before, I have the original, the barber was Ray Burbery from about 1953, the pub was The British Lion, and the garage was owned by Norman Lock(e) and did indeed move to the corner of New John Street West/Summer Lane.

Did my apprenticeship with Newtown Garages in Summer Lane,when I started work with them in 1961 they were still building the place and we worked from large sheds at the side of the garage.Incidently on the photo the chap in the white coat in the entrance to the garage is Norman Lock the owner,all the time I worked for them he always worked on the forecourt of the garage and was never without that white coat.

Dave

hi folks..just posting this map for a new member reg cook..hes having problems with it...

reg lived at number 41 milton street which he has arrowed..there was also a bank on the corner but at the time of this map the bank had not yet been built...

hoping reg posts his memories soon...

milton%20st%20map.jpg

Thanks for doing that for me Lyn, I'll say it again. You're a Gem!! So you want me to post some childhood memories of Milton St. Well I can still recall my first day at school, being taken by Mom round to Cowper st, Kicking and screaming I can tell ya!!! for some reason I thought she was going to leave me there, I remember I didn't feel much better when she told she would collect me later. What a fantastic train set there was played with that for ages, and the smell of the wet sand pit "Horrible" I think it was just water.?

The house in Milton St, well!! one down, two up. A kitchen the size of a cupboard, Me and my kid brother warming ourselfs by the Gas Cooker, while, usually!! Mom made the fire. I'll never forget the taste of the Gas after a while, made your mouth go dry. Got us warm though!! Behind the Cooker, the celler steps, into what was usually flooded which is probably why we used to have rats come running past us in a bid to escape. Later on Dad built a trapdoor over to keep the pesky rascals out. The living room I think was about 10ft by 12ft settee on the back wall because there was no where else to put it. Tele up the corner by the window looking out onto the street. I think! there was a door leading out to the entry up into the Court behind and the toilets in the yard along with the Boiler house. I certainly can remember the cascades of Ice blocks running down the wall looking like a mini Glacier in those toilets, those winters always seemed colder when we were kids.

The staircase up to the bedrooms was like scaling a verticle wall, Fell down em once, I wondered why Dad waited at the bottom for me and didn't make any attempt to scale everest and stop me half way down? Always puzzelled me that!! I can also remember jumping up and down on their bed once, and a leg of the bed going through the ceiling into the living room. It was great when someone knocked on the front door you could just pull the bed to one side, look through the hole out into the street.

Bedroom 2 topfloor was my bedroom used to be marvelous for throwing my little toy parachutist out of the window and watching him float away on his way to the shops in Newtown Row. I used to have a regular visitor come see me, my own Ghost, Dressed like Dick Turpin. (found that out as I got older) Tri-corn hat, black cape, just came (through) the bedroom door walk to the end of my bed, stand and stair, then walk off through the wall out into the street, well even now I wondered whether he could fly as well. Could see the Bartons Arms clock from my window,

On one occasion I put Dads Army boots on and took them for a skid down the entry, trouble was he found out. Did I get a good hiding for that.

brillient stuff reg...isnt it amazing how the the memories come flooding back...

cheers

lyn

Thanks for doing that for me Lyn, I'll say it again. You're a Gem!! So you want me to post some childhood memories of Milton St. Well I can still recall my first day at school, being taken by Mom round to Cowper st, Kicking and screaming I can tell ya!!! for some reason I thought she was going to leave me there, I remember I didn't feel much better when she told she would collect me later. What a fantastic train set there was played with that for ages, and the smell of the wet sand pit "Horrible" I think it was just water.?

The house in Milton St, well!! one down, two up. A kitchen the size of a cupboard, Me and my kid brother warming ourselfs by the Gas Cooker, while, usually!! Mom made the fire. I'll never forget the taste of the Gas after a while, made your mouth go dry. Got us warm though!! Behind the Cooker, the celler steps, into what was usually flooded which is probably why we used to have rats come running past us in a bid to escape. Later on Dad built a trapdoor over to keep the pesky rascals out. The living room I think was about 10ft by 12ft settee on the back wall because there was no where else to put it. Tele up the corner by the window looking out onto the street. I think! there was a door leading out to the entry up into the Court behind and the toilets in the yard along with the Boiler house. I certainly can remember the cascades of Ice blocks running down the wall looking like a mini Glacier in those toilets, those winters always seemed colder when we were kids.

The staircase up to the bedrooms was like scaling a verticle wall, Fell down em once, I wondered why Dad waited at the bottom for me and didn't make any attempt to scale everest and stop me half way down? Always puzzelled me that!! I can also remember jumping up and down on their bed once, and a leg of the bed going through the ceiling into the living room. It was great when someone knocked on the front door you could just pull the bed to one side, look through the hole out into the street.

Bedroom 2 topfloor was my bedroom used to be marvelous for throwing my little toy parachutist out of the window and watching him float away on his way to the shops in Newtown Row. I used to have a regular visitor come see me, my own Ghost, Dressed like Dick Turpin. (found that out as I got older) Tri-corn hat, black cape, just came (through) the bedroom door walk to the end of my bed, stand and stair, then walk off through the wall out into the street, well even now I wondered whether he could fly as well. Could see the Bartons Arms clock from my window,

On one occasion I put Dads Army boots on and took them for a skid down the entry, trouble was he found out. Did I get a good hiding for that.

Nice memories Reg what year did Mom drag you to Cowper Street School, I started there 1940/41
Do you remember any Teachers from Cowper Street

Looking at those pictures yesterday Lyn, WELL!! my head was exploding. it's amazing what looking at old pictures can do for ya. Like the time my, then! best mate Steven Cole fell down a dirty great hole and on the way down bouncing off the scaffold pipes that were holding up the sides of the trench, and me just standing there laughing at him. I remembered, I had to run and fetch his Dad and he climbed down and rescued him. and the time when me and Steve were taking the mick out of the builders who were then starting to build the Newtown Shopping Centre. one of them caught up with Steve and took him to a shed on the site.

I was standing outside the shed looking through a hole in the wall and this man had a knife and was waving it about in Steves face. How times have changed ah! he would get locked up for that now.

I met Steve's sister, Yvonne a few years ago in Tesco's and she reminded me of the time I got locked in an abandoned Van. It was really strange!! because that was a memory of mine. How thick am I!!. I didn't realise till after we had left, that she must have been the one who, Either, locked me in or let me out, Should have asked her ah!!

Nice memories Reg what year did Mom drag you to Cowper Street School, I started there 1940/41
Do you remember any Teachers from Cowper Street
Hiya Alf!! I think I must have started there? about 1959, 1960. I was born 1955 so that sounds about right doesn't it.? I can't remember any of the Teachers names though. but I can recall "Vaguely" what the old school looked like. the balcony seems to stick in my mind for some reason. Maybe you can remind me. I tell you what!! I would love to see some pictures of the interior of the old place. I've got a picture on my Computer as a screen saver.

I remember coming home from work, back in the 1970s this was, and Mom was reading the paper. She looked up at me and said, look at this Reg, they are demolishing Cowper street School. There was a picture in the paper of the School. Reg.

another great lot of memories from you reg...i know ive emailed you some new villa st pics but if you let me know which ones you lost when yer pc crashed i will also email those again....

lyn..

The Stork pub! would be nice Lyn. and any others of High street if poss.? Sorry Lyn I'm, as you know new to the site, what do I call ya, Astoness, Wales, or Lyn. Have you been to Wales lately, I know, like me!! you love the place. I was cycling round Lake Vrynwy, ( I think thats how ya spell it ) a couple of weeks ago with an old mate of mine I met when we moved from Aston in 1964, Always kept in touch with him.

I'm not as fit as I used to be, it's only 13 miles, but I was really Kerry Packered afterwards. Reg.

Back