• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Milk

We had that licence when we first moved into our shop in 1965 they were also required for ice cream and cigarettes.

There was a 'closed shop' situation with newspapers too, only WH Smith Wholesale were allowed to supply them to shops and you had to be a registered newsagent to retail them.

thanks for this info: i had wondered how/why the term 'closed shop' originated as I thought it could not have only been trade union related. Was the sign on the shop when to took it over? What date was the actual sign? You mentioned 1965 but the sign seems older than that. How was it linked with the Milk Marketing Board which started 1933? I will research Aston Manor. thanks again

We didn't have the sign on the door just had to hold the licence and renew annually, the local health inspector checked regularly.

I loved sterra. Sometimes I get long life milk to keep in the cupboard in case we run out of fresh milk. And it reminds me of sterra, And I still love the taste. I remember never really liking the free milk at school. Would rather have had sterra. Viv.

My partner, who comes from Yorkshire, was very surprised how we were drinking sterilised milk in Birmingham. It was quite normal for me when growing up there. My parents sold it in a corner shop when I was grown up ( late 60's). Do people still drink it?

Back in the 50's and 60's we always had sterilised milk at home, occasionally a pint of Jersey milk as a treat. I didn't realise how difficult it was to find anywhere else but I remember when we were on a self catering holiday in Cornwall and we had quite a job to find a shop that sold it!

I believe the only other area where it was commonly used was Manchester?

I think it would be very difficult, if not impossible to find now, the nearest thing would be the long life milk I guess.

The supermarkets advertise a sterilised milk but have no idea if it tastes the same. It seems to come as whole milk, semi-skimmed and skimmed.

Hi Radiorails,

I remember the small bottles of milk you used to get when I was at Infants school around 1957/8 complete with straw, I have to say I could never stand the stuff even to this day the smell & taste of it puts me off; ironically though I have it in Coffee but, milk by itself no thank you ugh!!

Lozellian.
I was a milk monitor in my Junior school and remember having to bodge the milk bottle cap with a lead pencil (of all things?) to put the straws in ready for consumption.

I was a milk monitor in my Junior school and remember having to bodge the milk bottle cap with a lead pencil (of all things?) to put the straws in ready for consumption.
I seem to remember there was a proper 'tool' for that job - like a bottle cap with a spike on the inside?
Not very good to use the lead pencil :laughing:

I loved sterra. Sometimes I get long life milk to keep in the cupboard in case we run out of fresh milk. And it reminds me of sterra, And I still love the taste. I remember never really liking the free milk at school. Would rather have had sterra. Viv.
i always had stera in tea, in brum it was in a glass bottle. i have not seen it for 20 years now, that school milk had a wierd taste.
1643216491868.png1643216584736.png

Last edited:
I never liked milk, never knew what was sterilized and what was pasteurized. It didn't help that our mom made tomato soup with milk...cooked fish in milk...and had coffee made with milk and we had hot milk on our cereals...yuk! In addition, we had a local dairy on Rodway St called Holt's and there was always skin floating around in it.
Dave A

I loved drinking sterra as a child ,I recall it being quite creamy. Tried it as an adult,not the same,quite horrible in fact.
Always enjoyed school milk especially in winter when the milk was really cold.

I loved drinking sterra as a child ,I recall it being quite creamy. Tried it as an adult,not the same,quite horrible in fact.
Always enjoyed school milk especially in winter when the milk was really cold.
I can drink milk now if it's cold, but that just goes to show that the cold kills the taste.
Dave A

and we did,then we would turn the cap upside down on the desk put a finger in it and run it around and around untill the cap was like a flying saucer then flick it, it would spin through the air:grinning:

and we did,then we would turn the cap upside down on the desk put a finger in it and run it around and around untill the cap was like a flying saucer then flick it, it would spin through the air:grinning:

I had forgotten all about that game. Got into trouble once or twice for doing it in the classroom.

NoddKD,the naughty.

We used to use a coin, usually halfpenny to flatten out and bring the rim up to have a sharp corner. It would spin better, or so we thought.
Dave A

on this huge private estate were i live are about 2000 od cows and a huge automatic milking parler the cows walk down automaticly and go onto a carousel to get milked. the milk goes into a huge cooled tank.and is collected by the tankers to go 10 miles away to the creamery. i have many a time had a gallon or 2 it is very creamy and thick and tastes loverly. ....as a kid i use to get the beasties in and put the machine on there teats by hand, the milk was sucked out by a vacum into a tank.very often i had a drink of that that was 50 yrs ago.the beasts are here tested regularly for TB.

When I was a baby my Nan moved out to a village in south Worcestershire where there was no commercial milkman at that time. A local farmer came round with milk in churns and you took your jug out for him to fill up.
My mother was rather apprehensive about giving that to me and made some remark to which he replied that all the babies in the village had grown up on it.
Anyway, it obviously didn't do me any harm!

Very nice milk vending machine on The Main, Washwood Heath Road Ward End
Often giving a choice of milk, milk or milk with their product selection buttons! Thanks for reminding me about Joseph Harris, Dry Cleaners, another of those chains like MacFisheries, Dewhurst's etc. that were part of the Birmingham scene.

I can’t fully read the sign. Was it the Whistling Kettle ? I wonder if the cafe also managed the milk vending machine. Did cafes do that ? Viv.

Back