• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Albert Payne, Milk roundsman

sistersue61

master brummie
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here goes
My treat-grandad Albert Payne, had a milk round business which he ran from Victoria Strret (the Muntz St end) He was still runnung it in the 1930's, but dad thinks he probably finished in 1939.
On the early census up till 1901, he had various occupations, including as a gunmaker.
What I would like to know is when he started the milk rounds and how long they ran for, if anyone can help.
Thanks, Sue

This may be of use? in the 1916 directory there is a

Payne Albert, dairyman, 45 Victoria St Bordsley Rd
in the 1922 directory there is a
Payne Gun Company , gun makers, 43 Loveday St
I have not checked all the directorys but it appears that albert was only a diaryman for a couple of years and the gun company may have gone the same way?

Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here goes
My treat-grandad Albert Payne, had a milk round business which he ran from Victoria Strret (the Muntz St end) He was still runnung it in the 1930's, but dad thinks he probably finished in 1939.
On the early census up till 1901, he had various occupations, including as a gunmaker.
What I would like to know is when he started the milk rounds and how long they ran for, if anyone can help.
Thanks, Sue

<My granddad had his own milk round in Cubbington and my nan said it was his own round and is registered as a dairy man. It was his own horse too. I have a lovely photo of them both. Jean.

Horsecart, thanks for that - not sure about the gun company, just that he is listed as gunmaker in 1901 and 1911 census.
Re milk round, dad remembers him doing this in the 1930s but doesn't know if it was his business or he worked for someone else - the address is right though and another member of the family was a milk boy in 1911.
Sue

This isn't a help to Sue but the reference to the milkmen reminded me of when I lived in Burlington Street, Aston, and I was rushing to get to work so I asked my son to write a note to Joe our lovely milkman to say we didn't want any milk that day. When I saw what he had written I brust out laughing and it still amuses me now - "No milk today so there". Michael was only about 7 years old at the time.

Following the info, can anyone tell me how I can find out more about the Payne gun company that horsencart meentioned?
I have googled it and got no info to help.
Thanks Sue

Talking of milk roundsmen, can anyone give a name for the dairy at the bottom of Fentham Road, Erdington.
The milkman there delivered the milk to Slade Road Garage (where I worked as a grease monkey) with a horse drawn cart, the type with a walkway through the centre, so the milk would be loaded fore and aft with a passage through the centre.
Always used to have a GOLD TOP with about 2 inches of cream on the top, health and safety has done away with that.

Back