• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Miles st , aston

changinman1

master brummie
Does anyone have any facts on Miles street aston , what sort of folk lived there and what was the street made up of and where was it exactly. My ancestors were there on the 1881 census

Miles St went between Bordesley Park road and Sandy Lane. It would probably be half under what is now is now bordesley circus and half under Bordesley middleway. It unfortunately comes (as do so many roads of interest to people) at the junction of 4 map sheets, at least one of which seems to be of a slightly different date (though nominally the same for all), so i apologise as joins are not very good on the 1890 map at https://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq38/jeemikejee/Milesstc1890.jpg
Mike

Mike jee....Hi thanks for that its brilliant, erm ....just trying to locate it in my head.....is it by a pub called the white towers.....well it used to be called that.... and the other side of the railway bridge is a car dealers....

My Grandparents were living on Miles Street at the time of their marriage
in 1897.

Would love to find a photograph of the street but not very likely..

regards
Neville..

I lived in Bolton Road from 1950-1969.
I think the pub you was talking about was called the Plume and Feathers.
It was just down from the Jockey Public house which was on the corner of Bordesley Park Road.
The next pub down was on the corner of Bordesley Park Road and the Coventry Road called The Lodge.

Back