• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midland Red Early Days

Thanks Lloyd. An AJS Commodore perhaps? (You're very good at identifying buses!) That Wolverhampton Museum of Industry website is excellent (I wish we had something like it for Birmingham).

The Daimler chara is a handsome vehicle too.

Going by the fact that the radiator is over the front axle, rather than well in front of it, I thought the Pilot - but without the fancy bumpers (which were probably an accessory at extra cost anyway!). There again, it could be a Star 'Flyer'. Or something else. I'm not that good when the radiator is blocked!

History of Midland Red Industrial Relations.

I would like to learn more about Midland Red's industrial relations over the years (especially during the early years). This is a subject about which I am quite ignorant, and on which I have been unable to discover much information. What was Midland Red's attitude to unions, and how seriously were industrial relations handled? How was union membership organized? Did each depot have its own branch? Were drivers, conductors, mechanics, vehicle builders, cleaners, etc in separate unions, or was everyone covered by the TGWU? To what extent were staff unionized?

What is the history of industrial action within Midland Red? What happened during the General Strike of 1926 (when I've read that "not a bus or tram ran in Birmingham"). What happened after the collapse of the General Strike?

Excuse my ignorance and curiosity. I don't intend to start a controversy (except in the interests of history! ;)). But it seems to me that this would be a very interesting and significant (and hitherto unrecorded) chapter of Midland Red history. I'm hoping that former Midland Red staff on the Forum can enlighten us.

I was T&GWU convenor for Birmingham (Digbeth - although actually being run from the Edgbaston St Bus Station at the time) for five years c1987-92. When I joined the company in 1973 it was a 'closed shop' (you had to be in the union) but later this was made illegal, still most joined or stayed in.
In the early days of unionisation it was tolerated, and the company even provided small 'cabins' for the union collector to stand in and collect the weekly fees from members - later (in my time) there was office space available.
I found it an interesting position, having authority equal to the depot manager but without most of the ensuing responsibility, and found the task of helping others (not always with work-related problems, either!) fascinating and satisfying. One day I should write my memoirs on it!!

Thanks indeed Lloyd for those remarks. Very interesting. I would encourage you to write a memoir of your union days; it doesn't have to be very long (unless of course you feel inspired!), but I would be very grateful if you would post something about your experiences. I'm sure many of "our readers" (almost 8,000 views now!) would also be interested. :)

I have some information somewhere on the very early (19th century) tramway and bus unions. They were much needed, as pay was meagre, working hours long and conditions horrendous. The unions were strong in London and Manchester, but I don't know much about the Midlands. Any information is welcome. I'll develop a post from what little I have.

The Evolution of Public Transport Unions 1848-1922.

2010-06-08 17:33:45

[This post has turned out to be much longer than I expected, for which I apologize. It is derived from numerous internet sources, which I will document when I have rediscovered them! Birmingham gets only a brief mention, I’m afraid. This is largely because of a shortage of known facts: if anyone has local information please let us know. As usual corrections, additions and comments are welcome. :)]

Unions generally grew out of "friendly societies", and this is true of public transport unions. The Metropolitan Omnibus Servants Provident Society (MOSPS, 4 Portman Place, Edgware Road, London) was established in 1848 for the benefit of about 10,000 London "omnibus men" (drivers, conductors, timekeepers and clerks). The purpose of MOSPS was "to assist the disabled and infirm, their widows and orphans; to found an asylum for the aged and feeble; to establish a school for the children of members; and to adopt measures by which members may be enabled to improve themselves mentally, morally and religiously." The subscription was sixpence a week, and the officers were: president James Wyld MP; treasurer S Pierce (possibly omnibus proprietor Samuel Pearce); honorary secretary R Morgan; manager J Scully. MOSPS survived until at least 1853, when the consulting medical officer was W B Parks MD.

The early 1850s was a period when wealthy "do gooders" sought to improve the lot of the "poor working man", especially with a view to saving his soul. John Garwood (died 1889) was the author of The Million-Peopled City: or, Half of the People of London Made Known to the Other Half (London: Wertheim and Macintosh, 1853). This work gave a graphic account of the appalling working conditions for busmen at this time. The London bus workforce in 1851 comprised some 2,000 drivers, 2,000 conductors, 350 watermen, 2,000 supernumeraries or "odd hands" (who were on call to drive or conduct occasionally when the permanent staff were unavailable) and 3,000 horsekeepers. Working hours averaged 16 hours a day, seven days a week, with very short breaks for meals and rest. You could only take a day off if you paid for an "odd hand" to substitute. Dismissal could come at a moment's notice, and employers did not have to give a reason. The cost of damage to vehicles was deducted from the driver's wages. Family life was all but impossible: the married men would say: "We never see our children except to look at them in bed". By contrast, horses were quite well looked after. They were changed after three hours work, and were well housed, fed, and otherwise cared for.

And the reward for this slave-labour? Drivers received an average of 34 shillings a week, conductors 28 shillings and timekeepers 21 shillings. Other staff earned piece-work wages of about 18 shillings a week. The "odd hands", with absolutely no security of employment or income, were often one step removed from the bread line or the workhouse.

In these circumstances, it is hardly surprising that busmen should become unionized. What is surprising is that it took so long. As late as 1877, we read of William Parragreen ("Cast Iron Billy", born Cambridgeshire c 1813), a bus driver for 43 years, who was forced to retire due to ill-health. After a lifetime of hard work for his employers (latterly the London General Omnibus Co Ltd), he had been unable to accumulate any savings and faced a bleak retirement. He said: "I'm too old to look ahead. There's the workus [workhouse] on one side; it's not pleasant, and who knows? On t'other, perhaps some sporting gent wanting me to keep his gate. I might do that; you see I could sit in front fourteen hour out o' the twenty-four, always 'andy." At this time working hours averaged fourteen hours a day, and wages hadn't improved much since the 1850s. Here is a picture of poor Cast Iron Billy (he's on the left with top hat and whip). [Note added: the 1881 census records Billy as a resident of a Paddington "workus" (thanks Lloyd for this sad fact).]

In 1889, the Manchester Carriage and Tramways Co announced plans to offer a reward to members of the public who informed on staff who dared to supplement their meagre wages from company revenue. This was "the straw that broke the camel's back", and led to the formation of the Northern Counties Amalgamated Association of Tramway and Hackney Carriage Employees (NCAATHCE), the first of the "modern" public transport unions. Before long 400 members had signed up. By 1892 membership extended to Nottingham, Sheffield and Burnley, and George Thomas Jackson was employed as full-time secretary on a salary of 24 shillings a week. In 1893 NCAATHCE was renamed to the Northern Counties Amalgamated Association of Tramway and Hackney Carriage Employees and Horsemen in General (NCAATHCEHG), surely one of longest names in the history of the union movement! Many smaller unions (from as far afield as Edinburgh and Belfast) were absorbed in the 1890s.

London bus and tramway employees were not far behind. In 1889 barrister Thomas Sutherst and George Shipton (secretary of the London Trades Council) organized some 3,000 workers into the London County Tramway and Omnibus Employees Trade Union (LCTOETU). At this time the London General Omnibus Co Ltd (LGO) was a notoriously bad employer. Employees could be sacked for "the slightest cause of complaint", and crews were expected to contribute to a fund to cover accidents, repairs and fines levied for "misdemeanours". Drivers earned seven shillings and conductors four shillings and sixpence for a fourteen to sixteen hour day with as little as ten minutes for meal breaks. On 1 May 1891 LGO introduced the roll ticket check system (already used by the London Road Car Co Ltd). This provoked the conductors who had been accustomed to keep a percentage of fares to supplement their wages. On 6 June 1891 at Fulham town hall 3,000 bus and tram workers met to discuss their grievances, under the leadership of
LCTOETU. "Great excitement prevailed during the whole meeting and speakers were frequently interrupted with snatches of song." LCTOETU formulated a list of demands which included: a twelve hour day; one clear day off every fortnight; a week's notice of dismissal; abolition of stoppages for accidents; a daily wage of eight shillings for drivers, six shillings for conductors and five shillings for horse keepers and washers.

At midnight on 7 June 1891 the first London public transport strike began. Striking LGO employees were soon joined by those of the London Road Car Co Ltd (LRC), who also demanded a twelve hour day. It is interesting to note that Thomas Tilling employees did not join the strike, because
LCTOETU claims had already been agreed to. The majority of bus and tram crews supported the strike, and those who tried to work were unable to because of "angry mobs" of strikers. Tirelessly led by Sutherst and Shipton (and by Mrs Reaney in the East End), the committee raised £1,000 for the strike fund. The so-called "pirates" (bus operators who competed unscrupulously with the well-established companies) were allowed to operate, and contributed to the strike fund (a smart tactic!). A group of strikers established the London Co-operative Omnibus Co, and purchased a bus, to the front of which they attached a broom as a sign of their determination to "sweep away" LGO and LRC. The companies were forced to negotiate in earnest, and when the strike was called off (on 13 June), the union had gone some way to achieving their log of claims: twelve hour day, seven shillings and sixpence a day for drivers, five shillings for conductors and five shillings and sixpence for horse keepers and washers. Some LCTOETU activists were victimized and not re-employed (despite the efforts of such worthies as the Lord Mayor).

Having proved their worth, public transport unions were here to stay. In 1902 the Manchester-based NCAATHCEHG shortened its name to the relatively snappy Tramway, Hackney Carriage Employees and Horsemens Association, which the following year became the Amalgamated Association of Tramway and Vehicle Workers (AATVW). Membership by this time had surpassed 10,000. By the end of 1905, AATVW (still led by George Jackson) had over seventy branches throughout Great Britain, including eight in London, six in Manchester, and the following Midlands branches: Birmingham (secretary A G Jones of 9 Upper Dean St); Burton-on-Trent (J J Clark of 88 Ash St); Leicester (George Sawbridge of 57 Berners St); Nottingham (J E Pendleton of 25 Highbury Avenue, Bulwell); Stoke-on-Trent (J Heath of 5 Adams St, May Bank); Wolverhampton (Charles Everett of 15 St Mark St). In 1910 AATVW absorbed the smaller London Tramways Employees Association, for a total membership of over 17,000. AATVW was known as the Blue Button Union from the colour of its badge.

In 1913 the London and Provincial Union of Licensed Vehicle Workers (LPULVW) was established by merging the Bus Tram and Motor Workers Union with the London Cab Drivers Trade Union (established 1894). LPULVW was known as the Red Button Union both for the colour of its badge and for its politics (which supported nationalization, syndicalism and the Russian revolution). In 1919 AATVW and LPULVW merged their red and blue buttons to become the United Vehicle Workers (UVW), whose membership included tramway workers (horse, steam, cable and electric), cab and bus drivers, conductors, chauffeurs, horsekeepers, carters, lurrymen, farriers, washers and cleaners. Finally on 1 January 1922, UVW was one of fourteen unions which merged to become the new Transport and General Workers Union.

Last edited:
Sorry folks that last post was well off topic (not a Midland Red in sight!). I'm hoping that the historical background will prompt some memories or anecdotes about the Midland Red situation. For example, there's a video somewhere of a Midland Red bus strike in the 1960s (?). But really I'm more interested in the "early years", especially the General Strike of 1926. Here's hoping! :rolleyes:

Can't go back as far as 1926 but I do remember a series of Saturday strikes at Digbeth in the early 1960's when the company offered a wage increase of £1 a week in reply to a union demand of 30 shillings (£1/10/- or £1-50p in todays funny money). The union advised us to strike but weekly wages being so low then, it was agreed the strike would be one day a week only to minimise loss of earnings and Saturday was considered a day that would be effective against the company without unduly alienating weekday passengers. However, after three Saturdays support for the strike was dwindling and the union said they would accept the company offer of £1 whereupon the company said the offer was now 17/6 (half a penny under 78p today) This was accepted on our behalf so we gave up the strike for half a crown less than the company's original offer which didn't do much for the local T&G union's prestige at the time.

Last edited:
View attachment 51476
Oh Mike, look at that eh. A bit off topic perhaps but I just managed to save my badge from the bin. We de-cluttered all the wifes gear, well we cleaned it all and put it back. Now we are throwing all my stuff out. My Drivers badge has not turnrd up.

Mike, thanks for that story on the delicacy (and dangers) of wage negotiations!

Stitcher, lovely to hear from you. Thanks for that splendid picture of your conductor's badge (not off topic at all). Please don't throw it away (or at least throw it towards Wythall!). We had a lot of fun earlier on this thread (posts #88, 110, 114) discussing your "Gupwells charabanc outing" picture.

Hello Mikey baby, I cleaned it and put it in my draw. Sadly, I can not find my drivers badge.

Hello thylacine, I have explained befor on this thread that I do not have any great interest in BMMO or bus driving. I needed a job and got one at Digbeth. It served its purpose and I met a few decent workmates. If I come across any more photos I will of course post them on this thread.

2010-06-09 09:00:51

As promised, here is a list of my sources for post #506:

Sampson Low junior. The Charities of London. London: Sampson Low, 1850. Accessed via this e-book.
Henry Mayhew. London Labour and the London Poor. London: Griffen Bohn and Co, 1851. Accessed via this e-book of selections.
John Garwood. The Million-Peopled City. London: Wertheim and Macintosh, 1853. Accessed via the excellent Victorian London website.
John Thomson and Adolphe Smith. Victorian Street Life in London in Historic Photographs. London, 1877. Accessed via Google Books (search on "Billy").
Trade Union Ancestors website.
"1891 Bus Strike". Hayes Peoples History website.

And here is a picture of a classic 1901 AATVW membership certificate (auctioned in 2008 for £60):

Good Evening. Here is the News.

2010-06-09 10:02:25

Here are some interesting ATV news video clips concerning Midland Red in the late 1950s and early 1960s (from the Media Archive for Central England):

22 July 1957 re Stourbridge bus strike.
25 July 1957 re Stourbridge bus strike.
June 1958 re Digbeth Coach Station opening (a very short clip but with some interior views and a nice shot of C3 4222 reg UHA222).
23 May 1963 re conductresses in Walsall (with a scene of a conductress being rudely manhandled by a manager :().

[I must get a speaker for my PC as I can't hear the sound on these clips. I'm mystified by the Walsall story, as Midland Red didn't have a depot there. I'm pretty sure it is Walsall, as we can see a couple of the distinctive blue Walsall Corporation trolleybuses in the background. Can someone please explain what's going on in this story? Is it Walsall Corporation rather than Midland Red?]

hello Thylacine hope you are all ok i still have my psv badges from the 1950s and are still in good condition are they worth anything lol Allen

G'day Allen! ;) I bet it's warm up there in Queensland (where exactly do you live?). Your PSV badges are probably worth more to you as mementos than to a collector, but no doubt there is a market for them. If you ever decide you don't want them any more, you could consider donating them to the Wythall museum. What do you remember about union activities at Sutton?

I suspect the Walsall story was about the corporation - the complaint was that the transport committe had decided not to taake on any more female conducting staff.
Filmed at St Paul's bus station, Walsall.

The Public Transport Horse in the 19th Century.

Here is a link to "The Omnibus Horse", a chapter in William John Gordon's The Horse-World of London (London: The Religious Tract Society, 1893). This fascinating and readable illustrated account not only describes the life and work of the omnibus and tramway horse in the nineteenth century, but also reveals much about the operation of buses and trams in the horse-drawn era. Clearly it's not Midland Red, and it's London not Birmingham, but the local situation must have been very similar. Though the working life of a public transport horse was quite short (five years for an omnibus horse, and four years for a tramway horse), it can be seen that the companies looked after their horses much better than their men. I hope some of our readers will be interested.

Back