• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midland Red Bus Collision

Does anyone remember the collision between two Midland Red buses in Castle Bromwich, one was an old metal vehicle and the other a 'new fibreglass body' model.

The bodywork on the latter disintegrated apparently.

An old friend of mine who worked at Water Orton station photographed the scene and had his picture published in the Evening Mail.

I believe both vehicles were empty at the time, apart from the drivers of course....

I have that press cutting, sadly one of the drivers died before he could be released from his cab.

Interesting (if tragic) story, Lloyd. Any idea of the date and fleet numbers of the buses involved ("5210" is written under the picture).

No, I haven't noted the date but it would be in the sixties sometime when I used to collect any bus cuttings from the Evening Mail. 5210 (5210 HA) is the LS18 type on the left. The other looks like an S12 type.
Here's another cutting, this time a Bearwood S13 type comes to grief in Smethwick. I've dated this one 1963.

Nice story! The consequences could have been dire if driver Brian Moseley hadn't kept a "cool head".

Back