• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mid Worcestershire Dairy Co Sparkhill

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
A very nice image of the company vehicle. The company address seems to be 140 Stoney Lane, which I presume might have been a farm (?). He seems to be holding a milk churn. Sorry no date for the image, maybe 1910/20s? Viv.

image.jpeg

Not a farm I think, as it was in a row of businesses even in 1900, though not occupied by a milk supplier. In the 1900s some did keep a cow or two in their back yards, but don't think that carried on till the 1900s. In 1908 Kellys shows no 140 was John Watters, dairyman, in 1910 it was Walter Symonds, dairyman, in 1912-1921 Alfred Spencer, dairyman, and in 1924 Mrs Suzett Davis, dairy. In 1932 Kellys does not list no 140. Therefore the photo must be sometime 1924- 1031
I did check for the Mid Worcestershire name also, in case it was some form of cooperative using several separate firms, but this is not listed in the Biemingham Kellys either
The map shows no 140 in red, c1905

Attachments

• map c 1905 showing 140 Stoney Lane.jpg
    map c 1905 showing 140 Stoney Lane.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks Mike. That's interesting information. I presume then the premises were an outlet for milk products - butter, cheese etc - as the premises on the map look too small for any other activity.

I notice they delivered twice daily. Hard to imagine two deliveries of milk etc every day now that we have fridges. But I suppose necessary. Viv.

Back