• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Microsoft Life Cam

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Hi does anyone else have one of these webcams it is driving me barmy..everytime I put the computer on I have to unplug the cam and then plug it back in otherwise it says the cam is in use by another programme..I know it is the cam for messenger ..but I only use it on skype.should I take messenger off the computer altogether Thanks for any help
Maggie

Hi Alf thanks i will have a look at the link ..it's the LifeCam 1.4 I cant find anything in English on it

Last edited:
HI maggie,

I have had similar problems with other Webcams, I have fixed the problems mainly by installing the latest drivers for the cams. Let us know the actual model number of the LifeCam, should begin with VX- or NX- (look on the bottom of cam) and what operating system you are using and I will see what the latest driver version is and point you in the right direction to download it.

Just a thought, is there any software that came with the LifeCam running on Windows start-up? To see if there is, Right Click on the Task Bar, Click Properties then make sure Hide Inactive Icons is Unchecked, then click Apply & OK. Next, hover the mouse over the System Tray Icons(bottom right of the Task Bar) and see if a pop up message refers to anything to do with the LifeCam, check each icon in turn and a description should popup for each. Maybe some software to monitor the Lifecam is running and preventing Skype gaining access to the cam.

Hiya Dave Thanks so much for your reply:) I have done as you said and all I have on the icons is ..speakers..linksys and avast..Have turned the webcam every which way but no number on it:(..the disc I have just says LifeCam 1.4 I am running Vista

Maggie, have a look at this link and see if you can see which Lifecam you have.

www.microsoft.com/hardware/digitalcommunication/Productlist.aspx?type=LifeCam

Make a note of the model that matches yours then go to this link and select the relevant information from the dropdown spin boxes to download any newer software/drivers.

www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=ICE

If you are unsure which version of Vista you are running (32 bit or 64 bit), hold down the Windows Key (the bottom right one with the little windows flag on it) and whilst keeping this held down press the Pause/Break key (normally somewhere above the numerical keypad area), this will open a System Properties window and display the Version of Vista running. Just for anyone else, this key combination works with any version of Windows.

If you are using the software/drivers supplied on the disc that came with the webcam these may be quite old and newer downloaded software/drivers normally have all the little beasties, gremlins and compatibility problems ironed out.

Hopefully this will put matters right, if not, get back to us and we can have a look elsewhere. No harm in putting the latest drivers and software in anyhow and this normally fixes things nicely. Good luck.

oooh eck which one is the pause/ break key Dave:rolleyes: sorry looking at me keyboard and can't work out were it is :)looking at that link Dave it looks just like the last one

Maggie have you tried restarting your computer again when it happens:)

George has had trouble with his web cam and it works with a restart.

Alf its areal pain its a Microsoft thingy that we always have problems with as it is for meesenger Id like to send Bill Gates a Message gggrrrr:redface::D

Maggie, the Pause/Break key is the one with Pause Break written on it funny enough. See attached picture (it might be in a slightly difference place depending on make of keyboard. Another way to get to the properties screen is to right click on Computer in the Start Menu and then click Properties. See second & third picture. You should see the properties screen then, see fourth picture.

Back