• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Microsoft Edge

carolina

master brummie
Whenever I open my laptop its Google which I like, but then it starts reverting to Microsoft Edge which I dont like so I reopen Google to use, but the same thing happens again. Can Microsoft Edge be uninstalled or is there any other way I can bypass it. (Windows 11) Thanks

Hi Carolina. To clarify things, Microsoft Edge is a browser, alternatives being Chrome, Opera and a few others.
Google is a search engine which will run on any browser.
Are you using Chrome? If so click the 3 dots at the top right of the page and select Settings.
Click 'Default Browser' and check that it's set to Google Chrome.
Click 'Search Engine' and check it's set to Google.
Let me know what's set to what and we'll take it from there!!!
And no, Edge can't be uninstalled.

Last edited:
Hi Carolina. To clarify things, Microsoft Edge is a browser, alternatives being Chrome, Opera and a few others.
Google is a search engine which will run on any browser.
Are you using Chrome? If so click the 3 dots at the top right of the page and select Settings.
Click 'Default Browser' and check that it's set to Google Chrome.
Click 'Search Engine' and check it's set to Google.
Let me know what's set to what and we'll take it from there!!!
And no, Edge can't be uninstalled. Pain in the ****
Yes I use Chrome - 1673184862492.png

Try this:-
Open W11 Settings (windows key + I), select Apps then Default Apps. Scroll down the list to Google Chrome, select and Click 'Set Default'. This sets Google as default for the most commonly used file types - if you are using an odd one you may need to set the default for it separately (in the same list).
I hope this is clear! If the problem still occurs could you let me know exactly when it happens.

Try this:-
Open W11 Settings (windows key + I), select Apps then Default Apps. Scroll down the list to Google Chrome, select and Click 'Set Default'. This sets Google as default for the most commonly used file types - if you are using an odd one you may need to set the default for it separately (in the same list).
I hope this is clear! If the problem still occurs could you let me know exactly when it happens.
Jukebox, thank you so much. I have gone through all the apps that mention Microsoft edge and changed default to Chrome, so fingers crossed it has worked. I will let you know.

Jukebox, thank you so much. I have gone through all the apps that mention Microsoft edge and changed default to Chrome, so fingers crossed it has worked. I will let you know.
Microsoft will do its best to get you to use Edge as the default browser, especially if you sue the search box on the bottom left hand side (windows10). Just ignore any reminders about best experience etc.

the only time i use edge is to clear the history it saves. when i click the search box on the bottom left. wish you could delete it all together.

Microsoft on my Win10 computer list Edge as 'Microsoft Edge (Chrome)' It works for me so I haven't interfered with it.

Microsoft set Edge to run in the background at Startup which gives it some advantages over other browsers. I stop it doing this with the following method.

1) Right click on Start icon bottom left
2) Left click on 'Settings' (or get settings with your usual method)
3) In Settings chose 'Apps' on the left
4) Scroll to bottom of 'Apps' list and click on 'Startup'.
5) Scroll down the list to Microsoft Edge and set switch to off.

When you next start the laptop, Edge loses it's startup advantage.

When Edge starts in the background (switch on) the impact on laptop's resources is high ... switch it off and there is no impact.
Image1.jpg

Last edited:
Two years ago Microsoft decided to scrap their Edge software and use the same open source software as Google Chrome. Edge even uses Google Chrome's extensions and is now a good browser but does not really like running Google Search ... it prefers to use Bing Search.

Although I have no problem printing pics from my 'My Pictures' file I cannot print them from 'My Documents' file I click print and no response, would this be a printer problem or my PC ? it is a fairly recent problem. Eric

Back