• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Metallic Bird Cage Makers:

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
I have found the following on the 1901 - 1911 census & wonder where exactly he was making the metallic bird cages ( he is said to be an employer)

1901 10 Whitmore Road Small Heath
WILLIAM JOHN HUMPRIES & family

1911 263 Herbert Road Small Heath
WILLIAM JOHN HUMPHRIES & family

Many thanks,
Margaret.

Margaret
Have looked at 1900, 1903.1904,1905.1908, 1910 and 1912 Kellys. None show any William Humphries, humphrys or humphry (or indeed anyone of that or similar surname) as a bird cage dealer. there were about 10-12 in each year, of which at least 4 made metallic cages. I also checked the names for any possible simialr occupation, but nothing there either. Neither address is listed in Kellys, either as a business or privately. They must have been very small scale
Mike

Thank you Mike, sorry if this was a wild goose chase for you, as you say it was probably a small business venture.....I do like the idea of a bird cage maker though ! My thanks again.

Margaret.

I'm certainly interested in any info on Birmingham birdcage makers. My wifes family ran A stokes & Co of Legge St, Aston. Rumour has it they made very grand cages, but we have no proof. Although we do know that when one of the owners died in 1934, he was wealthy enough to leave over £20,000 in his will, so business must have been quite good ! See my earlier post on A Stokes & Co.

Back