• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

MERRY CHRISTMAS BHF 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all. Thanks to all who gave me support through a year where I saw more of the inside of hospitals than ever before and also found out i had been within fifteen minutes of meeting my maker, so again thanks again. But also thanks to all you contributors. I read nearly every posting from start to end and reading some I realised what a sheltered upbringing I had, some postings are better than best selling books. Moderators I hope you can relax over the holiday and I apologise for my occasional digressions.
So once again everyone have an enjoyable few days. I see Morecombe and Wise are on the telly (but I expect it will be a repeat)

Bob

A very merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all. Thanks to all who gave me support through a year where I saw more of the inside of hospitals than ever before and also found out i had been within fifteen minutes of meeting my maker, so again thanks again. But also thanks to all you contributors. I read nearly every posting from start to end and reading some I realised what a sheltered upbringing I had, some postings are better than best selling books. Moderators I hope you can relax over the holiday and I apologise for my occasional digressions.
So once again everyone have an enjoyable few days. I see Morecombe and Wise are on the telly (but I expect it will be a repeat)

Bob
Stay well Bob and keep getting better every day! And yes, I for one had that same sheltered upbringing! I thought I knew the parts of Brum quite well, many times I need to look at a map to understand, then I'm not sure :)

Bob
thanks bob and you look after yourself and have a lovely christmas...it would not be the same without morecombe and wise :D

lyn

Bob
Take care have a great Christmas and New Year . If Morcambe and Wise are on hope it is the one with Andre Preview. Privet whatever.

Take care have a great Christmas and New Year . If Morcambe and Wise are on hope it is the one with Andre Preview. Privet whatever.
Preview. I have the ÇD of him playing piano on Shelley Mann and friends play My Fair Lady, a superb performance and he played all the right notes in the right order, although the star track is the bass player Red, forgot his last name, playing with a walking bass, I'm Getting Married in the Morning. Cool, real cool.
Bob

Love the advert posted . Looked close up and even mentions Uncle Holly . Merry Christmas thanks for the memories.
I am trying to remember, was Santa on the 4 th or top floor, I can remember the lift with the attendant and the mechanical floor selector , the double set of trellis type metal gates
Uncle Holly , gave me and other children a badge with him on it and Lewis’s name , well I am also most sure , such a long time ago.

Looks like a White Christmas in Franklin TN. Current temperature 21 Fahrenheit down to 2 degrees by 6.00am, we have light snow! We are supposed to remain in the low 20 through Sunday!

I am trying to remember, was Santa on the 4 th or top floor, I can remember the lift with the attendant and the mechanical floor selector , the double set of trellis type metal gates
Uncle Holly , gave me and other children a badge with him on it and Lewis’s name , well I am also most sure , such a long time ago.
Positive it was the 6th floor at Christmas and yes i am sure were badges as someone may have posted a picture of one before.

more about uncle holly on here
Just been having a butchers on the interweb and it seems Selfridges had an Uncle Holly back in the 1950s. There is also a picture of an Uncle Holly badge with 1963 on it so he seems to have been very popular. So maybe there were no copyright issues or they were spreading the joy of Christmas to us wonderful Brummies.

Happy Christmas to everyone! Our first Christmas without my wife's father (an old Brummie from Fentham Road, Aston), so we are off to a Black and White Stratford hotel for a couple of days. A new experience, but we will be sure to remember him and family memories of Nechells, Yardley and Bearwood.
Derek

Happy Christmas to everyone! Our first Christmas without my wife's father (an old Brummie from Fentham Road, Aston), so we are off to a Black and White Stratford hotel for a couple of days. A new experience, but we will be sure to remember him and family memories of Nechells, Yardley and Bearwood.
Derek
Enjoy your new experience, relax & stay healthy!

Derek
Enjoy your break . Merry Christmas.

Happy Christmas, everyone!

The earliest ones I really remember were all in wartime when mums and dads did their best to make them magical for us children. The food probably wasn't as plentiful and the presents may have been second-hand or home-made and in some households it wasn't the entire family who were sitting around the table to eat their Christmas cockerel. But did that matter to a five or six-year-old? Not at all. It was still as wonderful a moment as it always was - eagerly awaited, enjoyed to the full and never forgotten.

How lucky most of us are, to be able to have the sort of Christmas we shall be having, despite everything. I, for one, am just grateful still to be around to enjoy it!!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back