• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Royal Coronations : Birmingham response

My uncle Edwin dressed up for it in Devonshire Street

Attachments

• Uncle Edwin Coronation 1937.jpg
    Uncle Edwin Coronation 1937.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 16
how lovely carolina...if you posted it on our pic restoration thread i am sure one or two of our clever members could tidy it up a bit for you

lyn

This is a photo of my Gt Grandmothers shop in Cooksey Road, Small Heath (I've posted it on other threads) Her name was Gertrude Curley hence the name Curley Stores! Looking closely at the shop window you can see it decorated with union jack bunting and a crown. Gertrude was living there during 1953 so I assume it was decorated for the coronation?
Hi
Yes, Gertrude was also my Nan, I was born in 1953, so the bunting could have been for that
I remember the shop well. For many years my uncle, Les Curley and family lived just across the road.

Hi
Yes, Gertrude was also my Nan, I was born in 1953, so the bunting could have been for that
I remember the shop well. For many years my uncle, Les Curley and family lived just across the road.
That's great. Which Curley are you the child of?

IMG_20180308_0001.jpgIMG_20180308_0004.jpgIMG_20180308_0001.jpgIMG_20180308_0004.jpgIMG_20180308_0003.jpgIMG_20180308_0005.jpg
A few photos from the celebrations held at Mapledene School, Sheldon. (I think I've posted these before on the Schools thread) I was only 3 yrs old at the time, I'm the one holding on to his hat supposedly dressed as Huckleberry Finn!
Despite my Grandma being one of the fancy dress judges (Lady on right in final picture) I didn't win a prize, but I've still got my Coronation certificate, my commemorative mug and my red, white and blue propelling pencil with the gold crown. I have to admit I can't remember much about the day apart from stopping half way down the track to tie my shoelace during the egg and spoon race. I came last needless to say.

Do you have any photos of that day. We had a large one with all the kids on but it got damaged in time and only a little of it survives now

in the back of my mind,is a small memory of me sitting on my dads shoulders. in the hospital grounds steelhouse lane.

View attachment 130815View attachment 130816View attachment 130815View attachment 130816View attachment 130817View attachment 130818
A few photos from the celebrations held at Mapledene School, Sheldon. (I think I've posted these before on the Schools thread) I was only 3 yrs old at the time, I'm the one holding on to his hat supposedly dressed as Huckleberry Finn!
Despite my Grandma being one of the fancy dress judges (Lady on right in final picture) I didn't win a prize, but I've still got my Coronation certificate, my commemorative mug and my red, white and blue propelling pencil with the gold crown. I have to admit I can't remember much about the day apart from stopping half way down the track to tie my shoelace during the egg and spoon race. I came last needless to say.

what wonderful priceless photos and to still have the certificate mug and pencil is a bonus...i have been told that paddington st where i was born held a street party but so far i have not found any photos...ever hopeful

lyn

Picture 277.jpgPicture 278.jpgPicture 280.jpgPicture 281.jpgPicture 282.jpg
My memories of the day. The commemorative mug on the left and the Coronation Coach and Horses belong to my wife who celebrated the day in another part of Sheldon around Downsfield Road. Whoever wrote the cerificates spelt my name wrongly, I wonder if my sister still has hers and how her name is spelt!
Picture quality not brilliant, sorry.

fantastic jim and in pristine condition by the looks of it...never seen the coach and horses before ...i love it what is it made of jim

lyn

I remember my mother having the Coach and Horses. I had not realised the connection with the Coronation!

Just think, Her husband is still driving at the age of 97!

Some sort of soft metal that was quite fragile. I don't think my wife ever played with it hence it's condition. My sister had one but that didn't last long when she became old enough to play with it. The pencil also came in a box but that has long gone. (You can't draw with a box can you?:D

Remember it well lived in wilton street. Everyone in fancy dress ,a gang of men dressed up as minstrels .table of food in the middle of the street. Scrambled to watch the tele at Mrs Millington window she had the only tv in the street. Giveandn a golden coach with 8horses and a plate.will have to dig some pics out.remember lots of men getting drunk.my father painted the face of the queen on the gable end of a building.

A celebration photo ...
A family photo showing children in Cavandale Avenue Coronation 1953. Even the children's bikes and toy prams are decorated. How we liked our street events back then, I don't think we see things like this these days, but I might be wrong.
index.php
image only visible if logged in

Last edited:
I remember my mum going to a shop on the corner of Lode Lane and Castle Lane, Solihull, to buy bunting, perhaps a yard wide, printed with lots of miniature Union Jacks. These all had to be cut and hemmed and sewn on to white tape. My dad fixed two broom handles at an angle to the upstairs window cill and hung a large Union Jack and the Lion Rampant Flag (being a Scot). He placed a jam pan in the front garden with a lamp set inside to act as a floodlight to illuminate the flags. In the downstairs front room window he fixed a hardboard panel with holes drilled in an E II R pattern through which Christmas tree lights were fixed. As our house was on the corner it must have been seen by a lot of people.
All the children on our road were given a bible, blue for boys and burgundy red for girls. My dad wrote each child's name on a label that was stuck to the end papers. I also had a green mug and my sister a pink mug but that might have been just for us. I was given a Coronation Crown, which I still have in its plastic case. (I should have spent it when five shillings was worth something - twelve weeks pocket money!).
coron 001.pngcoron 007.pngcoron 008.png

I don't recollect any bunting in Albert Road, Kings Heath. About the only thing I remember was watching it on TV, and it may have been next door's!

Maurice

...never seen the coach and horses before ...i love it what is it made of jim

lyn
This was Lesney's (later Matchbox) first best seller - a million units! The major parts are die-cast zinc. I'm pretty certain they could still be bought for some years after the coronation at the local newsagent/toy shop.

Remember it well lived in wilton street. Everyone in fancy dress ,a gang of men dressed up as minstrels .table of food in the middle of the street. Scrambled to watch the tele at Mrs Millington window she had the only tv in the street. Giveandn a golden coach with 8horses and a plate.will have to dig some pics out.remember lots of men getting drunk.my father painted the face of the queen on the gable end of a building.

lovely memories thank you

I still have my coronation mug - must take a photo of it. As I was only 9 months old I don't remember the day.

would love to see your mug jan...i just missed out on one as i was born in the november

lyn

As I said in #47 I still have my coronation mug. It says "Longton" on the base.

Attachments

• coronation mug back.jpg
    coronation mug back.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 10
  • coronation mug front.jpg
    coronation mug front.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 10
I knew it was from the Potteries. The 5 towns comes from Arnold Bennett who wrote Anna of the Five Towns - he omitted Fenton apparently.

Back