• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Medicines Of The Past

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
Hi.all when we lived in neachells,my mom used to buy some ointment from a herbalist shop called woods
they made some wierd things, the ointment was called wonder ointment it sure did sting,:cry:but was great stuff.any one else remember there shop,and were was it?

There was a herbalist shop in Witton road Pete but I can't remember the name?. Maybe Patty can. Jeab,

Sorry Pete cant help, but I bought a can of Dee* Hea* spray for my shoulder. I have often wondered whether to try all thats available.

I do remember they had a cure for anything so they said and I remember some brown medicine they sold for girls who had gone over and no I never had to buy any. Pete is trying to remember the name of the ointment. Jean.

jean.woud not know about them things then.
ernie.dad used smelly ammonia based stuff on his,he would use anything bless him.good job wd 40 was not around then

I do-not know of the shop you asked about, but i so remember the jar of black -jack my mum swore by for healing many things it looked like blacktreacle but the smell was not nice. Also there was a tin of some thing for corns . When she moved from the family house to a bungalow we found a jar of black-jack which was so out of date .hahaha xxx

Hey Lizzie we have some in our kitchen. Pete used it when he had a deep thorn and he says it brings what is left in to the surface.

Hi Pete MY DAD USED TO SWEAR BY SLOANS LINEMENT AS A CURE ALL HIS ARTHRITIC ELBOW MY FOOT BALL KNOCKS AND THE SMITHS ELECTRIC CLOCK IN THE FRONT ROOM WHICH STARTED TO SQUEAK, HE PUT A FEW DROPS IN THE BACK OF THE CLOCK IT STOPPED THE SQEAK BUT STAINED ALL THE CLOCK FACE.IT USED TO PONG QUITE A BIT AS WELL....tOM

Do you remember the remedies that my Father-in-law swore by ? Doans backache pills, Friars Balsam, Zambuck ointment, White Fire chilblain ointment, Opas indigestion tablets, Scotts Emulsion, Aspro, Menthol crystals, the list goes on and on. Mind you, so does he ! He is 94 in June after all.

As a joke many years ago when I worked in a foundries Met Lab we used to make up names for medicinal compounds purely for a joke. I think the best one my mate thought up was "Murgatroyds Laxative Soap" with the slogan " Just a we drap for a thunderous **ap" We also "invented " names for pipe tobaccos and the only one I can remeber was "Sloanes Quilted Chippings"...................happy days :)

My mother would use stuff she called Yellow Basilicon to cure anything from warts to piles to a busted fan-belt on the old man's car. There was also something called "Jumping Toothache Cure" which was no good for tooth-ache, but by God did it give you a high!

How did we survive?

Big Gee

Thanks Rowan. Graham I don't think I would use it before going to bed as you would never get to sleep. Jean.

Do you remember the remedies that my Father-in-law swore by ? Doans backache pills, Friars Balsam, Zambuck ointment, White Fire chilblain ointment, Opas indigestion tablets, Scotts Emulsion,

I remember Scotts Emulision, can still taste it, horrid , the picture on the bottle was a Man carrying, a large Cod fish.

Remember my Nan using Black Jack, and my other Nan using 'Daisy Powders' for her head aches. I still use [occasionally] Tigers Balm to rub on my aches and pains. Miriam.

I remember Andrews liver salts that fizzed over the top of the glass. Beauchamps pills were another regular item in the kitchen.. Jean.

Pete maybe the wonder ointment is the old horse liniment?. I have some in my medical chest from when I broke my arm. Jean.

a friend showed me a tin it was blue and white about the size of a shoe polish...it smelled like eucalyptus was good for burns cuts etc
it was made in london eng dont remember the name thou

I remember a cough mixture called Lobelline. It was dark brown in colour and vaguely tasted of aniseed and liquorice. It was widely advertised and sold in the 1940's and 50's.
Two doses of it seemed to cure any cough - chesty or tickly, the bottle didn't differentiate between the different types - and it beat anything the doctor prescribed for you.

I haven't seen it for about twenty years but very recently my wife bought a bottle of Bells Mentholated Bronchial Balsam from one of the "pound shop" chains and this mixture looks and tastes exactly the same as Lobelline. It's in a small brown bottle with a yellow and green label. We've tried it out on several of the family with bad coughs and they all agree it works very quickly, even where well-known brands have failed - and it's about one-fifth of the price of the big-names, too!

Welcome back to one of the old-fashioned favourites!

I cannot see anyone has mentioned Aspro in those long strips. They also used to sell all kinds of lozengers some of which you can still get today.
Little tiny black things, not sure if they were called Imps.
Radio Malt and Parishes Food to give an appetite.

jean.the ointment was called woods wonder ointment,for adults.the kids was not as strong.it was a light brown paste. if you put it on imbatigo.or open sores,by ecky thump did it burn.and bring tears to your eyes.

Iodine was considered as a cure all as well, it was a very good antiseptic. I seem to remember someone telling me they used to eat tar, anyone else heard of this?

OMG Pete admits to eating it and says it tasted like liquerice?. I have only just learned this. It was supposed to clear your airways when you breathed it in. Jean.

What about kalin poultice and belladone plasters :cry: real tear jerkers they were :(

I remember my Mother putting a poltice on my ear when I had a mastiod boy did it burn :cry:

l think l've mentioned this before my g/mother thought syrup of figs was a cure all..my g/parents my brother and l evacuated together in 1940...if a fell down and hurt myself it was go to bed with a good dose of syrup of figs....one day l fell (l was climbing) split my lip wide open l should have had stitches but being in the country nobody bothered but it was go to bed and a good dose of syrup of figs only this time l was there for about 5 days...my g/mother had a victorian way of thinking children were to be seen and not heard...it did'nt take me long tp learn that as many wallopings l got....Brenda

Back