• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Meddocream ice cream Ward End

Hadn’t fully appreciated the reference in the first advert which mentions “The first post-war national ice cream competitions”. Of course ice-cream manufacture was suspended in WW2. I suppose limited sugar available and the need to focus on essentials sealed its fate. So ice-cream’s reappearance must have been a big thing by the 1950s. Viv.

A new name for me Vivienne. But by 1952 I was past being in Archie Andrews Lollie club. The only 'lolly' I was concerned with was £sd. :laughing:
It does sound rather a superior product.

Last edited:
I will always remember that the first ice cream I tasted was Lyons. This was, at first, a very basic product and probably did not contain much milk, but other fats instead. I later tasted Walls, which was more creamy , but, because I was used to the basic stuff, I was not so keen on that and found it a bit sickly (!!!). Very much changed now ! - only like the very rich creamy stuff now

I remember ice cream sold in the Beaufort cinema ward end in a tub that was around the era wonder if it was Meddocream i did not look at it i just chomped it

Last edited:
A new name for me Vivienne. But by 1952 I was past being in Archie Andres Lolly club. The only 'lolly' I was concerned with was £sd. :laughing:
It does sound rather a superior product.
i was to young to think about dosh then. i was 3. but lollies sure interested me.:grinning:

Where did that quote come from. I did not post it. Maybe it was me in an earlier life coming back to earth !!

Back