• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Meddocream ice cream Ward End

Hadn’t fully appreciated the reference in the first advert which mentions “The first post-war national ice cream competitions”. Of course ice-cream manufacture was suspended in WW2. I suppose limited sugar available and the need to focus on essentials sealed its fate. So ice-cream’s reappearance must have been a big thing by the 1950s. Viv.

A new name for me Vivienne. But by 1952 I was past being in Archie Andrews Lollie club. The only 'lolly' I was concerned with was £sd. :laughing:
It does sound rather a superior product.

Last edited:
I will always remember that the first ice cream I tasted was Lyons. This was, at first, a very basic product and probably did not contain much milk, but other fats instead. I later tasted Walls, which was more creamy , but, because I was used to the basic stuff, I was not so keen on that and found it a bit sickly (!!!). Very much changed now ! - only like the very rich creamy stuff now

I remember ice cream sold in the Beaufort cinema ward end in a tub that was around the era wonder if it was Meddocream i did not look at it i just chomped it

Last edited:
A new name for me Vivienne. But by 1952 I was past being in Archie Andres Lolly club. The only 'lolly' I was concerned with was £sd. :laughing:
It does sound rather a superior product.
i was to young to think about dosh then. i was 3. but lollies sure interested me.:grinning:

Where did that quote come from. I did not post it. Maybe it was me in an earlier life coming back to earth !!

Back