• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Me Dads old sayings

I remember years ago whenever my Dad saw a woman in a red hat he used to say "Ha !!Red hat
no drawers", it was ages before I understood it, Bernard

Aidan

master brummie
If the smileys were turned on for this thread Bernard I would be posting a shocked one.

Red hat, no drawers (or fur coat and no knickers) refers to prostitutes as prostitution was illegal they would wear a red hat so punters would recognise them. I believe it stems from c1920s but is there an earlier citation?

J

Jayessa

Haha! I remember my grandad saying that a lot when I was a kid, I took it quite literally at the time and always wondered why the elderly lady a few doors down, or indeed any other red hatted lady, was without her underwear.

Aidan

master brummie
That's funny thanks Jayessa & welcome to the Forum. One wonders if there were any more serious misunderstandings as Red Hats (and/or fur coats) were surely fairly common?

dek carr

master brummie
One of the sayings I remember was" They are all kippers and white lace curtains " Dek

Aidan

master brummie
Hi Dek - Was it "Lace curtains and kippers for tea" - Someone who is all show?

E

Elizabeth Redmond

When I moved to Harborne 60s it was known as all" kippers and curtains" it took me a little while to find out what it meant

E

Elizabeth Redmond

It meant people who liked to look well off, "ie posh curtains" but lived very cheaply "ie kippers,
I couldn't even afford the posh curtains,lol

JohnO

master brummie
If the smileys were turned on for this thread Bernard I would be posting a shocked one.

Red hat, no drawers (or fur coat and no knickers) refers to prostitutes as prostitution was illegal they would wear a red hat so punters would recognise them. I believe it stems from c1920s but is there an earlier citation?

I think the 'fur coat and no knickers' refers to social pretension rather than to the 'red hat' scenario ... aligned to 'all kippers and curtains' etc. Now, where did I leave my red cap...

Aidan

master brummie
I think you may be right there JohnO. But where did Collars & Cuffs come in? That's one I've never understood the origin of.

if we had played him up my dad used to say draw your horns in or ill do it for ya ......

Another one of his saying, "The best way to kill time is to work it to death, Bernard

Two of my Dad's favourites :-
When a coin was tossed he would call "What a cat's got". Naturally they assumed the call was tails....... But a cat has a head too.

When he thought someone was telling a lie he would say, "You must think that I came up on the down train"

dib44

Proud Brummie
Two of my dads favourites,

"Up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire" time for bed, but one I never understood myself was,

If he saw a lady with her petticoat showing he would say "Charlie's Dead"

If one of us answered him back he would say "Youve got too much of what a cat licks his A***E with,
Bernard

dereklcg

master brummie
MY DAD WAS A BUTCHER BY TRADE,
THEY USED TO SPEAK WHAT WAS CALLED BUTCHERS BACK-SLANG,
IF THEY,D GET SOME OLD DEAR UM-IN AND R-IN,THEY WOULD USE IT.
WOC GIP AND SOME TIMES STRONGER..HAPPY DAYS DON,T KNOW IF THE STILL USE IT.
dereklcg

W

Wendy

Deck my Mom's family were butchers and my uncles would talk in back slang a lot so I learnt quite a bit. I went to a local butchers when we first moved to Tamworth and they said something in back slang not rude but about me. I answered them in back slang and there faces were priceless! You don't hear it much now although I have heard it down the meat market.

Last edited by a moderator:

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Thanks Dek and Wendy for the photo's. My dad used to say about the height of a woman "her legs go right up to her bum". Well not quite that it began with A..

W

Wendy

Ha Ha Jean my Dad used to say that too!