• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

MCW Last day of the Metrobus at Yardley Wod and Acocks Green

horsencart

master brummie
MCW Last day of the Metrobus at Yardley Wood and Acocks Green

The 29 August 2009 will be another date that will go into Birmingham transport history the Birmingham built bus the Metrobus will no longer run out of Acocks Green and Yardley Wood Garages the last day will be Sat 29th August 2009,

If anyone has more details or a correction to the above please let me know I and others would like to know times of the last time that a Metrobus will go back into garage, and how can I split my self into two on the day, and will there be a tow in official or unoficial.

Re: MCW Last day of the Metrobus at Yardley Wood and Acocks Green

The 29 August 2009 will be another date that will go into Birmingham transport history the Birmingham built bus the Metrobus will no longer run out of Acocks Green and Yardley Wood Garages the last day will be Sat 29th August 2009,

If anyone has more details or a correction to the above please let me know I and others would like to know times of the last time that a Metrobus will go back into garage, and how can I split my self into two on the day, and will there be a tow in official or unoficial.

Hi Bammot,

Time has gone by so fast, -I was working at the Met when the bus was being designed, -the chief designer of the bus was John Rooke, who had joined the Met from Jaguar. I remember there was an obsession for trying to get the MCW logo in the centre of the steering wheel to appear the same either way up, - the M and the W were obvious opposites, but the nearest they could get for the C was something like a G with a slot in the closed side, - never did look to see if they succeeded!

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Bammot,

Time has gone by so fast, -I was working at the Met when the bus was being designed, -the chief designer of the bus was John Rooke, who had joined the Met from Jaguar. I remember there was an obsession for trying to get the MCW logo in the centre of the steering wheel to appear the same either way up, - the M and the W were obvious opposites, but the nearest they could get for the C was something like a G with a slot in the closed side, - never did look to see if they succeeded!

Kind regards

Dave

You may have known John Seale and Andrew Gardener john and andrew were and still are involved with the Transport Museum at Wythall (I still call it the site ) but I then get shouted at for calling it the site my very first day at Wythall July or Aug 1978 was to put up a fence arround the land but that is another story to get back to the Metrobus a small number will still be working, just not for NEWM they will be used on school contracts for a small independent so thereis still life left in the bus yet

There are still quite a number of MCW Metrobuses running across the country (even across the world - including long 3-axle ones which were made for Hong Kong!) so they'll be around for a while yet. Quite a few are going to survive in preservation, including West Midlands ones so their place in history is safe.

You may have known John Seale and Andrew Gardener john and andrew were and still are involved with the Transport Museum at Wythall (I still call it the site ) but I then get shouted at for calling it the site my very first day at Wythall July or Aug 1978 was to put up a fence arround the land but that is another story to get back to the Metrobus a small number will still be working, just not for NEWM they will be used on school contracts for a small independent so there is still life left in the bus yet

Hi Bammot,

The names are certainly familiar, but I have a terrible memory for faces,
and it has been 25 years since I worked there. I didn't actually work for M-CW but Metropolitan Cammell, the holding company, and as I had dealings with all the many departments on the site, both bus and railway,
I met a great number of different people. I would have gladly spent the rest of my working life there, had it not been for redundancy when the holding company was closed down in the mid 1980s, and I am still saddened that such a great company has vanished.

It's good to know that a few of their buses at least will continue to
operate for some time to come.

Kind regards

Dave

Back