• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mather

barrie

master brummie
John Mather, born c1859 married Selina Allen 28 Sep 1884 in Birmingham.  Selina was born 23 Oct 1864 in Lower Tower St.  The problem I have is with John Mather, he is on the 1881 census living with his mother Elizabeth in Smith Street, and is recorded as having been born in Wolverhampton, but I have not been able to find a birth registration for John Mather in Wolverhampton, his mothers maiden name (I believe) was Rainsby, his father, John Mather, was born in Scotland.

Hi barrie. i had a look at the 1871 census, and found John and Elizabeth

Bishop Ryder St Mary's Ward
20 court 2 house Haniforth Street.
John was a machinist bn Scotland Elizabeth Bn Birmingham John 11 bn Birmignham William 8 bn Birmingham Flora 4 bn Birmingham

I then looked at the 1861

Aston Duddeston & Nechels
Ann Street no. no.(sic)

John Unpholsterer Bn Edinburgh Scotland
Elizabeth Bn Birmingham
Emily age 3 Bn Wolverhampton Staffs
John age 1 Bn do do

No trace of a registration for John in 1859 or 1860, but there is for Emily. March quarter 1858. Ref 6B 386 Wolverhampton.

It will give you a bit more info if you apply for the certificate

Thank you Di, thats great.  :)

barrie

p.s. have now found the marriage for John Mather and Elizabeth Rainsby, have sent for the cert, so will now have two more lines to travel down, as if there are'nt enough already. ;D

Back