• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Maternity clinic on single-decker bus route 1949/1950

snikwah

My mother had a miscarriage in 1949 or 1950 and my father took me to visit her on a single decker corporation bus. Not many routes had single deckers. I wasn't allowed in to see her and had to wait outside. I am hoping to visit Birmingham for the first time in many years. I left in 1956 and the family home in Wheeleys Lane was demolished in the 1960s. I would like to identify the location of the clinic or hospital. Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorrento Maternity Hospital in Moseley wouldn't have been too far away.

And the Women's Hospital in Edgbaston about the same distance.

Thank you for your replies. The Sorrento is certainly a possibility. I remembered a municipal kind of building with heavy double doors, rather than a converted house. But it was a long time ago and Wake Green Road is definitely the kind of area I remember.

Thank you Janice. I am just wondering if the hospital could have been an annexe of the original Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Edgbaston.

I don't know but I would have thought that the Women's in Showell Green Lane might have been the hospital after a miscarriage.
I did search for photos but the best ones I found were on facebook and a link didn't copy.

I think this must be the place. I am assuming this is the Women's on Showell Green Lane. Thanks so much for your help, David

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 14.29.41.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 14.29.41.png
    737.1 KB · Views: 13
I think this must be the place. I am assuming this is the Women's on Showell Green Lane. Thanks so much for your help, David
Ues - I think it started as a house but was extended. The "new" one by the QE opened in 1968 and I only have vague memories of the one in Showell Green Lane

I have a photograph of single bus on route 24 Warstock.
This was unusual as normally double deckers were used. They were also unusual as they had 30 seats in perimeter fashion with 20 standing passengers.
AOP 62 - AOP 76 (62 - 76) AND BOL 32 - BOL 41 (32 - 41) were withdrawn in 1950.

Pure conjecture, but I wonder if they were used for this route having the special maternity facility.

Back