• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Massey

casey

knowlegable brummie
I am trying to to search for any one connected to this surname Massey. I have two marriage certs.The first is a Thomas Massey marrying a Mary Ness 1919 he was age 28 a widower and father Harry. I know this to be correct.The second marriage 1914 Thomas Massey married Beatrice Jones but his age was 30 and his father was deceesed and named Henry.I believe there was a connection with dudley and surrounding areas and other surnames i have are mason,wilson,stinton.hyde,aston,pinnock.but i just cant find the connection to move forward with Thomas Massey.Any one have any ideas.:redface:

Re: Surname Massey

If it any help having checked early deaths for female Massey have found Beatrice Massey died 1917 age 29 Kings Norton.

Thanks for that.This is who i am thinking was Thomas Massey first wife.I have just read my posting and realised i have put the marriages the wrong way round.Sorry if i have confused you.I noticed on your location it says bacons end is that in shard end.cause long time ago i lived in the heathway.

On your certificates is there anything the same such as occupations of Thomas or his father and who were the witnesses?

Bacons End is the area at the edge of Chelmsley Wood where Cooks Lane,Chester Road and the Birmingham Road to Coleshill all meet up.

hi guys
does any-body think there could be a relatives to dr massey
whom was in park rd aston in the early years 1930s -on wards ;
best wishes Astonian;;;

oops i think it an age thing getting bacons end and bucklands end mixed up."silly me"Comparisons on certs 1.occupation(polisher) 2.polisher at bicycle works.Witness (on both a Peter Massey has signed).3. Residence 1.cannot read it something Lane but marriage was at The parish Church of Selly Hill. On the second wedding cert the Residence was Heeley Rd Selly Oak, and marriage took place at the Wesleyane Church Kings Norton.

thanks for that i dont think so but do you know the dr.first name you never know it could have been from the other brother family when i can sort it all out

This may help,there were not many Peter Masseys in our region.

1901 Greal Hill dudley

Mary ann Massey age 52 widow
Fanny 25
Peter 22
Florry 21
Edith 19
Tom 17 (his age would be 30 in 1914)
James 14
Lilly 13

Mary a age 47
John Henry 28 Fender polisher
Sarah Jane 20
Fanny 18
Mary ann 13
Peter 12
Florence 10
Edith 9
Thomas 6
James 4
Lilian 3

1881 31 Steppingstone Street Dudley
Henry Massey age 36 Fender polisher
Mary A age 35
Henry 12
Sarah 10
Fanny 8
Annie 6
Peter 2
Florence 1

They weren't very good at ages if Mary the mother is anything to go by.LOL.
Henry Massey died in 1889 Dudley age 45.

Hi,here's Thomas in 1911
MASSEY, Mary Ann Widow aged 66 born 1845 Tipton Staff
MASSEY, Lilly Dorah Daughter Single aged 23 born 1888 Dudley Worcs, Lacquerer
MASSEY, Thomas Son Single aged 27 born 1884 Dudley Worcs, Polisher
Address: 34 Steppingstone Street Dudley

Thank you for the info his age would match with his first marriage in 1914 aged 30.

Thank you for all the info you sent.I am now going to attempt to go through the girls names and see if they married to give them the surnames i have on this solicitors letter and if i find the connection with surname smart i will know i have the correct Massey family.This is a right night mare even my father in law and one of his brothers changed their names round and families never new.

Hi there,does this help?
Marriages Dec 1902
Massey Fanny Dudley vol 6c page 17
Smart Samuel John Dudley vol 6c page 17

Marriages Dec 1927
Massey Lilly married Stephen Gardner Birmingham S vol 6d page 283

Some other possible marriages
Marriages Dec 1908 Dudley 6c 175
Florence MASSEY
James BAKER or John JONES
Marriages Sep 1893 Dudley 6c 151
Sarah Jane Massey
Samuel Hyde or Thomas Share
Marriages Mar 1910 Dudley 6c 139
Edith MASSEY
Alfred COULSON or Josiah BEARDSMORE or John William Aston
Marriages Jun 1899 Dudley 6c 31
Mary Ann Massey
James Henry Pinnock or Henry Price

once again thanks for info i had picked up on sarah jane (m)samuel hyde but i hadnt seen mary and james pinnock.I need to get to dudley and look at these marriages to see if they have the father Henry. These two surnames are interesting because they are on the solicitors letter along with the surnames Watson,Mason,Stinton and Aston.

Back