• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mary Street Balsall Heath

I have details of a death certificate for Bethia Oldham who died at 111 Mary Street, Balsall Heath, in 1877 so the photos and the map are of special interest to me, so thank you everyone. I have not found the number yet on the map, I am wondering if it may be up the passage that appears in the area thereabouts. Bethia was the wife of William Oldham of Oldham and Cooper, photographers at New Street, Birmingham. It is difficult to plot his movements but he seems to have moved to Mary Street as his residence and carried on some photography there whilst retaining the New Street premises. It is a huge disappointment to me that there has never been discovered any glass negative plates from his business nor any identifiable photos of his family. I wonder if a huge hoard of plates were found when the buildings were demolished! Thanks again to the remarkable Birmingham History forum buffs!
This shows a William Oldham at Upper Mary St in 1867

william oldham 1867.PNG

When Upper Mary St was combined with Mary St , the numbering was altered also from consecutive to odd one side, even numbers the other. From the directories of 1892 and 1895, either side of the change, many of the occupants names are the same In particular; 1892 1895
110 Hirst 256 Hirst
111 - 254 Haynes
112 - 252 --
113Hudson 250 Hudson
(Sorry they haven't formatted very well)
From this I think it can be deduced that 111 was later no 254. Below are maps c1954 and c1889 showing the building

map c1954 showing 254 Mary St.jpgmap c1889 showing 111 upper Mary St.jpg

Back