• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mary Street Balsall Heath

i
couple of new ones i think...courtesty of carl chinn..View attachment 153673View attachment 153674View attachment 153675View attachment 153676 photo 1 mary st with george st..photo 2 bath tavern photo 3 eagle tavern photo 4 numbers 99 to 109 dated 1961..now who is that little girl sitting on the step and the boy playing in the road
remember the shops in #14 i got my chomp from there for my dinner.when we worked for kids in need appeal at xmas time in a rented office that was falling down.

Brilliant photos, and maps, Thank you all, my gt nan lived next door to the Eagle, can just see it. Care home now, my dad was born in Balsall Heath Road 1925. He always told me he was from Small Heath. He was when he was abt 6 yrs old, Arthur Street back to back. So was a another shock when I started ancestry. Yet on his birth cert his mom was in Franklin Terrace, think that was near Edward Street? Mus have been at a relatives or friends. thanks again you folk, appreciated.

Brilliant photos, and maps, Thank you all, my gt nan lived next door to the Eagle, can just see it. Care home now, my dad was born in Balsall Heath Road 1925. He always told me he was from Small Heath. He was when he was abt 6 yrs old, Arthur Street back to back. So was a another shock when I started ancestry. Yet on his birth cert his mom was in Franklin Terrace, think that was near Edward Street? Mus have been at a relatives or friends. thanks again you folk, appreciated.
Mrbluesky, sometimes boundaries were a bit different then. A place I lived as a child was Gordon Street, always known as Bordesley Green but on some records it's classed as Aston.

I have details of a death certificate for Bethia Oldham who died at 111 Mary Street, Balsall Heath, in 1877 so the photos and the map are of special interest to me, so thank you everyone. I have not found the number yet on the map, I am wondering if it may be up the passage that appears in the area thereabouts. Bethia was the wife of William Oldham of Oldham and Cooper, photographers at New Street, Birmingham. It is difficult to plot his movements but he seems to have moved to Mary Street as his residence and carried on some photography there whilst retaining the New Street premises. It is a huge disappointment to me that there has never been discovered any glass negative plates from his business nor any identifiable photos of his family. I wonder if a huge hoard of plates were found when the buildings were demolished! Thanks again to the remarkable Birmingham History forum buffs!

I have details of a death certificate for Bethia Oldham who died at 111 Mary Street, Balsall Heath, in 1877 so the photos and the map are of special interest to me, so thank you everyone. I have not found the number yet on the map, I am wondering if it may be up the passage that appears in the area thereabouts. Bethia was the wife of William Oldham of Oldham and Cooper, photographers at New Street, Birmingham. It is difficult to plot his movements but he seems to have moved to Mary Street as his residence and carried on some photography there whilst retaining the New Street premises. It is a huge disappointment to me that there has never been discovered any glass negative plates from his business nor any identifiable photos of his family. I wonder if a huge hoard of plates were found when the buildings were demolished! Thanks again to the remarkable Birmingham History forum buffs!
I've only got access to an iPad at the moment but isn't No. 111 The Bath Tavern shown on the map in post #19 ?

I've only got access to an iPad at the moment but isn't No. 111 The Bath Tavern shown on the map in post #19 ?
Yes it is, highlighted here in yellow, but could it have had different numbering in 1877?
List on right is from PO directory 1879

bath tavern.PNGmary street 1879.PNG

Last edited:
Yes, it appears to be so. Kelly's records William Oldham in 1868 at Upper Mary Street; 1873 White's Directory has William Oldham (O & Cooper) Mary Street, Balsall Heath. Above that White's record is Mrs Bethia Oldham, Hightingham place, Upper Mary Street, while Bethia's death certificate records her death at 111 Mary Street. Are we dealing with the same address? I think so but I did not think I was looking at a Tavern premises. Perhaps a previous building on the same site? I would not have thought so, but possibly. I always imagined an address with outbuildings that could be adapted for photographic purposes -- such as the building yard premises?

This shows a William Oldham at Upper Mary St in 1867

william oldham 1867.PNG

When Upper Mary St was combined with Mary St , the numbering was altered also from consecutive to odd one side, even numbers the other. From the directories of 1892 and 1895, either side of the change, many of the occupants names are the same In particular; 1892 1895
110 Hirst 256 Hirst
111 - 254 Haynes
112 - 252 --
113Hudson 250 Hudson
(Sorry they haven't formatted very well)
From this I think it can be deduced that 111 was later no 254. Below are maps c1954 and c1889 showing the building

map c1954 showing 254 Mary St.jpgmap c1889 showing 111 upper Mary St.jpg

Back