• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Martindale Ralph - York Lodge Sutton Road Erdington

Martindale

Brummie babby
I'm the great great grandaughter of Ralph Martindale of Martindale and Company. They were a sword and machete manufacturing company in Birmingham. They are no longer a private company and have moved to Willenhall after being taken over. I understand the site of the Crocodile works is now apartments. Anyway, Ralph lived at York Lodge in Sutton Road Erdington. He put the house up for auction a few of weeks before his death in 1879. I have a description of the house from a newspaper advert but I have seen pictures of some of the mansion houses on Sutton Road but cannot identify York Lodge. Does anybody have a picture of it or can point me in the right direction. I no longer live in Birmingham myself but will travel. Does anybody think Erdington library would have this sort of thing. A lot of libraries now don't carry local history material.
Thanks

Have you seen this thread...

Have you seen this thread...

Thank you. I have read the thread and it seems as if a Tim O'Sullivan had information in 2008 that York Lodge was number 88 so that's a start.

Here is a map c1913 showing what I am pretty certain is the position of York lodge in red. the road crossing the top right hand corner is Chester Road.

MAP C1913 SUTTON ROAD JUST SOUTH OF  CHESTER ROAD SHOWING WHAT MUST BE YORK LODGE.jpg

Interesting that on their move to Strawberry Lane, Willenhall they were at Crocodile House !
Yes. I don't know where the Crocodile comes from. A book was written on the company detailing the years 1874 to 1974. There's a copy in the reference library but I've not been yet. I can't find a second hand one for sale - a niche market I suspect. The book will probably say where the crocodile comes from. It's on their logo as well.

Back