• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marsh & Baxters, Castle Bromwich

thebickerman

Former Brummie
Does anyone have any memories or recollections of Marsh & Baxters, the meat processing factory, in Chester Road, Castle Bromwich?

My parents (Vincent Oldham & Maureen Moore) worked there around 1962-64. It was managed by a Mr Stansfield and the Health & Hygiene Officer was a Mr Knight. Other foremen/supervisors included Brian Blaine (bacon room) and Sid Cameron (slaughterhouse).

Among the other factory floor workers were Alfie Oldham, David Oldham, Lawrence (Lol) Keatley, Billy Pulling, Barry Prince, Archie McGuinness, Terry Aimes (Ames?), Brian Savage, Freddie Luckman, Roger LeNevue (LeNeveu?), Gordon Scott, Arthur & Sue Moore (parents of Maureen - my mom), Edna Green, Yvonne Pickering, Margaret Guest, and Bernard Ingram (cleaner). There was also a Floss who worked as a bacon slicer.

I can remember someone telling me they worked there, they used to sort the hairs out for paint brushes ect, what a strange job that would have been. I will try and find out who it was

i will never forget marsh and baxters.castle brom.i was expecting my 3rd child and used to visit family at castle brom .the smell of the cooking etc used to make me sick and many times i had to get off the bus because of this....needless to say the daughter i had will not eat pork. ..........

My late father used to work as a mainainence/refridgeration engineer at Marsh & Baxters (later FMC) during the late 60's/early 70's on permanant night shift.
I went there a couple of times when he was covering on a Saturday morning. The smell of amonia was horrible

Only that my Father in law used to work over the road at Fishers and then Wimpey and would bring home loads of sausages, must have had some good friends there.

My husband used to work at Marsh & Baxters in the early 60's in the accounts office and he remembers going to the Tyburn House at the end of the day with the van drivers who were a great bunch who would give him the ocasional pork pie. One day he came off his scooter on the way to work and got sent home because he had ripped his trousers. Every Friday he had to go out to drop off all the new price lists and he still talks about those pork pies to this day. Happy days.

my dad worked at marsh and baxters all his working life from leaving school to retirement .He first worked at the dale end factory before transfering to castle bromwich in the 60s.His name was Charles Salter and he painted the vans does any one remember him.

I remember a two school trips to pork pie companies - one to Marsh and Baxters and other to Co-op in town. It would be about 1962 and I was at Kingshurst High School. We went to this dirty old factory in Birmingham somewhere near the city centre. It was disgusting. Dirty old paint flaking everywhere. Scruffy tins that pork pies were made in. Ugh! I remember telling mom not to buy any the from Co-op, much to my Nan`s horror as she was a Co-op Lady ! Then we went to Marsh and Baxters at Castle Brom. What a difference! Absolutely spotless. It was like an operating theatre ! We had some free sausage rolls. delicious. Strange the things we remember.

marsh and baxtors oriniate from the old black country from a place called wolverly
and old mr marsh whom i just cannot think at the moment of his christian name
as i was speaking to a fellow bed friend in the worcester royal for the last two weeks was telling me of him as he knew the family very well as he was a neibour to him and the family ;and he had a son called tony marsh ;whom in later years took over the bussiness and that they wentin to a slow decline and his father went into bussiness with the baxters they set up loads of shop out lets across the midlands
but as time went on old mr baxter was dying and he gave the bussines to his son tony whom joined into force with mr baxter and things was not working out to well for them but tony had alot of wealth from his father so nhe decided to sell his half of the bussiness to baxtor and then tony emigrated to spain and still lives there after all of thirty years or more the gentleman i was speaking to in the next bed was ex sargent major of the disbanded worcestershire regiment here at worc; barracks which is just down the rd from the worc royal hospital for many years
serving the regiment in the forces from a young age this man still lived in a
remoat part of the old wolvely village which is remoat from the old vilage he as a mobile static van in the woods and still lives in the same envoiroment of the woods ; best wishes Astonian;

My late uncle worked there in the 60´s Tim Flynn, he lived at the pelham, i remember him coming and giving my mom and dad sausage and bacon now and then

I left school and started at Marsh & Baxters in Dale End at the factory ,when things stated to close ,i was transferred to the prefab shop in Newton st . The manager was named Burt , the 1 st shop man was Tom. When the shop closed, i was transferred to Castle Bromwich ,this was before it was extended.
I was started off again in the slaughter house ,the foreman was Sid Cameron, the slaughterman was Burt Townsend, others were Joe the pole, John Ireland , Martin Ryan (Splitter) Tommy Cooper just to name a few.
,In the black pudding room were Yvonne and Teddy Callow. Noel Handrahan worked in the gut room. Bottom boning was overseen by Harry White ,after slaughtering was finished, we were deployed throughout the factory.
Top boning room was for pies and sausage production, they boned sows for this section .Gordon from Cannock & Georgie Hyde were two of the lads who worked there. Mary Withers was the union rep and she worked in the sausage house.
Bottom boning was for pork and bacon production .Terry Ames , Tom Cooper, John Barker, cannot remember all the names now but we worked on two tables.

My uncle, Jack Whitelam, was a pork butcher at Marsh and Baxter somewhere in the city centre for a number of years, probably 1930s, 1940s & 1950s. But he wasn't a well man, having had a lot of abdominal surgery. He retired early on health grounds and died at the age of 73 in 1977.

Maurice

hi Maurice wood worked marsh baxter 1960 1964 I know tony yates sid Cameron lol keatley phill backer bob nichlos I have dvd film of me working on the cradle and west Bromwich railway station thank you maurice

I left school and started at Marsh & Baxters in Dale End at the factory ,when things stated to close ,i was transferred to the prefab shop in Newton st . The manager was named Burt , the 1 st shop man was Tom. When the shop closed, i was transferred to Castle Bromwich ,this was before it was extended.
I was started off again in the slaughter house ,the foreman was Sid Cameron, the slaughterman was Burt Townsend, others were Joe the pole, John Ireland , Martin Ryan (Splitter) Tommy Cooper just to name a few.
,In the black pudding room were Yvonne and Teddy Callow. Noel Handrahan worked in the gut room. Bottom boning was overseen by Harry White ,after slaughtering was finished, we were deployed throughout the factory.
Top boning room was for pies and sausage production, they boned sows for this section .Gordon from Cannock & Georgie Hyde were two of the lads who worked there. Mary Withers was the union rep and she worked in the sausage house.
Bottom boning was for pork and bacon production .Terry Ames , Tom Cooper, John Barker, cannot remember all the names now but we worked on two tables.

Maurice wood worked there from Exmouth I worked with sid Cameron tony yates lol keatley bob nichlos phill backer I have film on dvd now me working on the cradle castle Bromwich railway station

iam M aurice wood worked at marsh baxter 1960s move to b/ham worked in shaughterhouse sid Cameron tony yates bob nichlos phill backer albert spencer lol keatley and me work on the creadle I have a film on dvd now in the shaughterhouse and castle Bromwich railway station

I know i have asked this question before but doe´s anybody remember my uncle, Tim or timothy or nickname pierce Flynn, O´flynn (don´t know what he may of been called ) lived in Alum Rock and came from Cork Ireland wore a Trillby hat some times and possibly a red Carnation worked there in the 60´s not sure of tears-

thank you

Hello I am Dave Goulden, worked at Marsh and Baxters around 37 / 40 years ago, straight out of school at 14 I thought the end of the world had come, my first job they gave me a knife nearly as big as me and a blow torch to singe the hairs of the pigs after they came out the de- hair-er I soon grew up !!! great people to work with so much to talk about, Christmas always make me remember a fight with the Wimpey lads over the road !!!! I am looking to get in touch with Toni Harris and Don Burrows, I worked in the Slaughter house in the mornings and used to get in at 5 am to kill a line of pigs ready for the blokes when they came in, Sid Cameron great bloke very fair down to earth, even sacked me in the nicest possible way !!!! ( well I was a naughty boy !! ) Hello Brian you've got a good memory for names now I have seen the names its all comin back to me now my tel no. is 07973408032 Tamworth.

Morning Brian this is Dave Goulden any chance you could ring me on 07973408032 any time or evenings 01827 284 857 or let me have your no.

regards Dave

does anybody remember our kid, steve lowe, worked in butchery straight from school early seventies always on about the great bunch he worked with sadly steves no longer with us

Hello I am Dave Goulden, Steve was a great friend to me, I was at Marshs from about 1970 to about 1975/6 lovely bloke, looked after me when I started straight from School at 14.5 years old my tel no. is 07973408032 please get in touch.

mauricewood40 I worked at marsh baxters 1960s I know sid Cameron lol keatley phill backer tony yates bob nichlos I now have dvd of me in the slaughter house working on the creadle castle Bromwich railway station maurice

Hello Edd thanks for ringing me, I had 2 faces in my head as there was 2 Steves at Marshs now I know which one was your kid, my previouse post is still correct , me and your kid had a great time at Marshs loads of pranks etc we had a good laugh all day, he worked with me stunning and shackleing sometimes, great bloke wish I could shake his hand today.

Merry Christmas----- Dave Goulden

hi dave nice to have spoken to you I would like to wish you and everybody on the forum a very merry Christmas and a happy and peacefull new year edd

Good morning Maurice

I have sent your DVD back, thanks very much for letting me see it, the book was is very interesting, have a great Christmas good luck and good health to you and all your Family

Dave.

hi iam Maurice wood I worked marsh backers move to b/ham form Exmouth devon work with sid Cameron tony yates lol keatley phill backer bob nichlos I have a film on dvd .

Back