• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marrian family

Jo Gane

Hi Colin,

I'm researching the history of photography in Birmingham during the 1840s and am interested in the Marrian family, particularly Francis who was a silver plater and Benjamin James Pratt Marrian (J P) who was a brassfounder. I'd be interested to know about any early photographs or information you might have about them - I understand they were the sons of Frank who had the Sea Horse and brothers of William, who took over the pub after his father.

Do get in touch - I can't seem to send you a direct message on here but I'm on [email protected].

Thanks

Jo Gane

Hi Jo,

I have an interest in the Marrian family and was wondering if you have had any help with your research phtography in Birmingham?
My particular family member is

James Lyon Marrian
1885–1917
Birth 6 JAN 1885 • Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Death 14 MAY 1917 • France and Flanders

Son of
William Marrian
1844–1921
Birth JANUARY 1844 • Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Death SEP 1921 • West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England

Brother of
Benjamin James Pratt Marrian
1811–1891
Birth 10 JUN 1811 • Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Death 12 FEB 1891 • The Limes, Acocks Green, Yardley, Worcestershire, England

Helen

Hi Helen,

I've not heard anything back from Colin, I don't think he's active on this forum anymore. Francis Marrian (1802 - 1893) who is an early experimenter with photography is the older brother of Benjamin JP Marrian. They both are active experimenters with early photographic materials and doing very interesting things in 1840s Birmingham - I've just written a paper about this which will hopefully be published later in 2023.

It would be great to talk more about this - do get in touch, I'll send a DM with contact details.

best

Jo

Last edited:
Back