• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marine stores Brearley St

Brownowl40

proper brummie kid
Does anyone know anything about the Marine Stores? My grandfather worked for one during 1910 to 1930ish. This information is from the birth certificates of his children. My grandmother was also brought up by her mother who was a second hand clothes dealer ( 1911 census) and they lived at no 7 Brearley street, hockley. I have been trying to find out if this was a shop - no 7 seems to have been at the beginning of the road - just the place for a shop.

The entry in the 1912 Kellys directory for 7 Brearley st reads;
7 Carr Thomas, secondhand clothes dealer
Mike

There is a thread for "Marine Stores", It's another name for a second-hand clothes dealer. My Gt Gt Gt Grandfather was one in the 1880's. On the Census he's called "a dealer in old clothes" so I thought he changed profession, but on the death certificate he's a "Marine Store Dealer." I think the name started when they sold used items from ships.

The entry in the 1912 Kellys directory for 7 Brearley st reads;
7 Carr Thomas, secondhand clothes dealer
Mike

Thank you for this. After a bit more digging we believe that our great grandmother married this chap. In the 1911 census he was a boarder who was a carter. We think he must have been a rag and bone man but this is just a guess given the nature of the trade.

The following cutting from the Birm Post 11.9.1862 indicates that a marine store dealer was definitely a scrap metal dealer, though this does not eliminate the possibility of other goods

Birm_post_11__9_1862.jpg

Back