• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Map assistance please

Shortie

master brummie
Can someone tell me which of the Alan Godfrey maps has Devon Street, Nechells on it, please? A young friend is enquiring about which one to have - it's not in my collection, hence the question.

Depends what date that you want but this can be had for free...1890 Ordnance Survey. Just print the part that you want. You can zoom in and out using the zoom feature and move around on the map by clicking on it...where you click goes to centre. If it stops moving then you have gone off that page and you require the next page...make a note of the page number and go to MAPS at the top of the picture and chose the next one over from the grid. This will give you the next full page and by clicking on it move to the enlarged area that you want. Pretty much the whole of England can be seen in fine detail...down to outhouses. It's 1890 and prior though, only. Still by using this together with GE you can find a great many places.
Using the search feature after clicking Maps from the home page will also find the appropriate map page a lot of the time.

Put the home page in your favourites and use the 1:2500 res when possible....it's finer and better detail.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10095&ox=975&oy=2392&zm=1&czm=1&x=266&y=176

Home page https://www.british-history.ac.uk/Default.aspx

For the Birmingham area you will have to use Warwickshire, Staffordshire and Worcestershire depending on the location that you want.

Thank you Rupert, this is excellent. I think she will probably be better off with a map she can put on the table - she is very new to all this. She has passed Devon Street hundreds of times, as she lived not too far away and the bus used to take her past there, but she still does not have much of a clue. I shall use this facility myself, I can find much use for it, as long as it covers the areas I need. Many thanks again.

Back