• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mansfield Road

Sorry GG Jean. Definately a Library whilst I worked in Mansfield Rd. Remember reading a book 'the Sheik by ?? Hull' and thought it very sexy - must read it again to see if I was right. Very nieve in those days, having a very strick dad.
Had to pay for books you took out. Miriam.

G.G.Jean
Norman Blizzard was my short back and side barber for many years. His shop was just round the corner from Mansfield Road in Witton Road. There was another barber in Mansfield Road that my father went to. Think his name was Les ????
You mentiom your husband as living near there and you are researching the name Smith. Your husband isn't Brian Smith or Peter Smith, half brothers of Johnny Farrell, by any chance or has my detective work let me down. There was another brother Mervyn as well.
Dave

Hi Al (Miriam)
I can just remember the trams and can certainly recall them being a nuisance when riding a bike. Just before the library or bookshop, on the corner, there was a Greengrocers. One of the later owners was Mulladeys?
I know our Irish setter dog, if she got out, would leg it down the road and pinch a cabbage, Don't know why because she certainly did not eat them. Perhaps mom had trained her well, though she did have to cough up for them if the dog was caught in the act
Dave

Last edited:
Oh my gord Colin no hiding now. I'm Mrs Smith [Pete]. Yes you've got the right family. Just been on the phone to Mervin too as someone from your end found me on friends reunited a John Chance. Ring any more bells?. Going off to hide now. Jean.

Hi Dave, Why not join our Prediction League Please contact me Wak

Hello Jean, Title was [if I remember correctly] was

THE SHEIK BY -. -. HULL.

iT MAY SEEM VERY DULL IF i READ IT NOW - ONE DAY WILL TRY THE LIBRARY
AND CHECK IT. mIRIAM.

Hi G G Jean,
I don't recall a John Chance, though the name chance does ring a tiny bell. How is Pete and the rest of the clan? Did you go to the Holte pub in the upstairs club when you were going out with Pete? Small world!!
Dave

Yes Dave if you mean the aligater bar. I still have one of the signs from one of the alcoves. It is Atalaya. Put it in front of our caravan. John would be Mervins age I think you are my age arn't you. 1946?. If you go into my albums. Family parties there's a photo of Brians 65th with the four of them on. Pete's looked at the jubilee in Mansfield road and asked if you are on. Phoned Mervins wife Sonia to let Mervin know and if he can remember you. He's not phoned back yet. Patty used to go there too. Bye. Jean

Dave just for you. From the left John Pete Brian and Mervin or as you say the clan. Hope it's not off thread. Jean.

G G Jean,
I would have to be honest here
; I would have recognised Brian because he was always very dark, possibly John if I put some hair on him. Facially he hasn't changed that much, but I would struggle to recognise Pete and Meryn. Did Mervyn have gingerish hair when younger? I bet they would not recognise me either.
How do you get photo's on? I have several I would like to put on including one of John , myself, Paul Hayward and Malcolm Phipps plus a couple of girls, when 17.
Dave

G G Jean
I have just read my previous comments and thay haven't come over as I intended, grovel, grovel. I should have said they are a lot different to when I knew them but still look good and fit. Honest, that is what I should have said.
Brian and I used to play in the darts team for the club and there was another guy in the team who was captain and a friend of Brian, but can't recall his name.
I recall one evening at the club, some big guy took Petes seat and to say the least, Pete was not well pleased and they had a good argument with Pete finally getting the seat back. Good on yer mate.
Dave

Hi G G Jean
I have managed to put some photo's onto the site. From left to right; Malcolm Phipps (Witton Road) Paul's Girlfriend; Paul Heywood (lived at the fire station) Johnny Farrell; Mysel, Dave Collins and Susan Slatford.I played football and table tennis with John.As young teenage table tennis players, we were put in an open age league and won it. Our reward? Medals? no chance. It was a choice between an ironing board (honest, this is not a mistake), or an ash tray. Malcolm also played plus a lad nemed Danny Rees. Can't recall if Danny smoked but the other three of us certainly didn't. What a laff. The picture was 1963

attachment.php

Great photo Do you mind if Pete prints one of for John?. [Don't he look happy] the one without the lady. Bye. Jean.

G G Jean
Carry on G G. John would call it his smouldering look perhaps.
I did briefly go out with a girl from Holte Road, but I cannot recall her name. Let you know if it comes to me.
Dave

Dave maybe the one most people did. Big joke. Will send you a message in the morning as I can't stop laughing. Jean. Off to be now. Jean.

G G Jean
After a good nights sleep, the brain cell has reactivated. I believe the girls name was Janet Redding. Ring a bell?
Dave

I was born at number 24 in 1946 and lived there until the council, in their infinite widom, demolished them in the very early 70's
My father, Ernest, was also born there in 1906 and flew pigeons until we moved out.
Does anyone out there have a photgraph of Mansfield Road I could copy.
Many happy memories of Mansfield Road and Aston; Saturday visits to Villa Park, re-living the game for the rest of the week in the road, keeping a sharp eye out for the Policeman.
Shopping with mom down Newtown Row, wonderful atmosphere and a visit to my Uncle Howards second hand shop at the corner of High St and Park Lane. Bought most of my 45's off him and bikes.
I remember many friends from that time and hope they are sound as a pound, though I fear some may no longer be with us; Freddie Perks; Colin Bennett; Gilly and Geoff Bakewell, Alex Bennett, Keith Potter, Derek Warren, Barry Walton, Robert and Michael Collins, Wendy Nash, Barbara Smith, Hazel and Jennifer Nutt. It was indeed a lovely community with a good spirit and people willing to give a hand when needed, no locked doors. Good days I miss very much.

Hi Dave,
I have just found from the 1911 census that some of my family (Perks) lived at 5 Mansfield Road. You mentioned Freddie Perks - can you remember anything about him or his family? any thoughts (or gossip!) greatly appreciated.
Mand

Hi Mand,
Well done for getting on the 1911. Is it easy to use and what is the costing?
With reference to the Perks family; Freddie lived next door to me at number 26, which was formerly a shop with a wide bay window, a typical shop window. Freddie had an older brother, possibly born Ca 1941/2. I cannot recall his first name at the moment. Fred was born Ca1944.
There fathers name was, I think, Bill (William). If it is the same family I would suspect it was Freddies Grandparents at No. 5.The garden at 26 was quite long and may have been an incentive to move there with two youngsters.They were a very nice family. Williams wife may have been Edna, but again I cannot be sure. I know when Bill was cremated she kept the ashes on the mantlepiece. Sorry I can't be of more help.If it does turn out to be the same family, I have a photo of Freddie when about 10 years old.

Dave
Dave

Thanks Dave,
I'm not overly impressed with the 1911 census, it is very difficult to tell you have the right family without looking at the transcript, which costs 10 credits, plus another 30 to view the original. Although i must say that seeing the original certainly has a WOW factor! It is amazing, and the information on there is great, i thought my great grandfather was an only child, it shows on the census that there were 2 children and only 1 surviving. On the Perks side (at no. 5) what would have been the grandparents there (age 69 & 70) I have 9 children on my tree but the census shows 12! 3 missing somewhere! It also gives the length of the marriage which could be useful.
But our families seemed to take over whole streets in past census' and it is too expensive to view each house.
Mand

Hi Mand,
I see you are researching the names Parr and Gumbley. I was at school with a Bruce Parr and I have a photo of my mothers friend whose surname was Gumbley. She may have lived in the area of Victoria Road, Aston. I am at work now but will gladly find the photo, which has her name on it. The date would be Ca 1924 and she would be age about 8
Dave

Thanks Dave - I do have Parr and Gumbley in my tree unfortunatley, they are 2 branches I have very little information on and nothing after 1890! Both lived in Hanley Street.

Remember bonfire nights as kids? We spent weeks collecting rubbish for the fire, paper, chairs, settees wood and basically anything that burned. Penny for the guy outside The Guild Did very well the one year when Dad made a head for the guy that lit up at the push of a button.
The bonfire was usually in my back garden as it was the longest or at number 22 which was empty for a couple of Nov 5ths. Every street has a misery couple. Ours lived 3 doors down and the woman went to the outside loo on one bonfire night. She was spotted and myself, Colin Bennett, Freddie Perks and possibly Derek Warren, kept her pinned in the loo by throwing penny bangers over her garden Possibly as long as fifteen minutes. The adults must have been engaged in social intercourse because no one said a word.
A little later, bricks started coming over the roof from the street, which could have seriously injured someone. My mother rushed out to the street and it was the womans husband, well into his forties who was throwing. She had words with him and he called her a silly cow. Big mistake. An even bigger mistake, my mother told father, who boxed in the Army and could handle himself. He knocked on his door and flattened him with on punch that broke his nose, no questins asked. Dad later received a summons for G.B.H. At the hearing, the judge bound him over to keep the peace for one year and asked my father if he would promise not to do such a thing again. My father said yes, as long as he does not call my wife a cow again. If he does, I will hit him twice as hard. God knows how he got off.
We lads had a right rollicking afterwards
Dave

Does any one out there know of Edna Stone. She lived at 30 Mansfield Road. She had a brother, Graham.
Dave

Last edited:
Hi there. Please find attached an exquisite picture of Mansfield Road Aston from coronation day 1911 I managed to acquire this week. My grandad was born at No. 29 in June 1913. I am interested to hear all of your comments and contributions regarding which end of Mansfield Road this was taken for example, where No. 29 might be, and does anyone recognise any of the characters?

Carl

img237.jpg

Hi, it looks to me to be the top end as you approch Birchfield Road, if you look at the rooftops on the righthand side at the far end you can just about see the rooftop of the church that is oppsosite the juction with Albert Road.

Back