• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Manor Park School Vicarage Road

Did Mavis work there? she later went on to have a shop on the Litchfield rd where I worked. She used to tell me about working at I thought she called it Kittys in summer lane

Did Mavis work there? she later went on to have a shop on the Litchfield rd where I worked. She used to tell me about working at I thought she called it Kittys in summer lane

No i don't think Mavis worked with me but I do know Mavis as you say she had a shop on the Lichfield Road I did some Saturday work there after I left Kitty Greaves my cousins wife Carol also worked there and I think a girl called Rhoda

Yes I remember I think I have spoken to you on friends unite, I worked with Carol and am still intouch

Yes I remember I think I have spoken to you on friends unite, I worked with Carol and am still intouch
Really" thats great what is your name? Carol will know me as Christine Rogers that was my maiden name and Carol is my middle name are you still hairdressing did you live in Aston
x

Hi all ex Manor Park pupils. I remember 1066 and am still in touch with Dorothy Holland who had the main part. Miss P lant passed away November last and Miss Roper, Mrs Golldingay and Mrs Bond all met up a couple of weeks ago and they will shortly be trying to arrange a re union. Jean.

Hi all ex Manor Park pupils. I remember 1066 and am still in touch with Dorothy Holland who had the main part. Miss P lant passed away November last and Miss Roper, Mrs Golldingay and Mrs Bond all met up a couple of weeks ago and they will shortly be trying to arrange a re union. Jean.
I would love to know when and where are you going would love to see them

I am going to pass the link to the forum and hope they post on here. Dorothy has been a member for some time but for some reason does not post. Will find out all I can Carol. I used to be one of the swimming team and was sports captain in my last year. Ended up teaching it for a living. When I get back to Brum I will see what I can do?. Jean [Lyndon].

I'm afraid the name Susan Bradbury dosent ring a bell with Shirley. I think perhaps shirley was at Vicarage Rd School before you, she left in 1955 and went to work at White Brothers laundry in Church Road. The headmistress when she left was Miss Featherstone the other teachers that she remembers are Miss Bunn, Miss Greenway,Miss Ball (Science) Miss Jones, then she married to become Mrs Hillier, Miss Jenkins.
Hi Claribel.I seen my friend today Susan Bradbury,she said your wife's name rings a bell from Church Lane.Sue's mom Kathy commited suicide age 34(sue told me to let you know about her mom).And it may jog Shirley's memory.

Hi do any of you remember SUSAN BRADBURY/CLEAVER? From Manor Park.She is my friend.She would love to hear from anyone who remembers her

I remember Miss Jones PE who became Mrs Bond and is still in touch with an old pupil. She is the person who kindly provided Keith Acton with our old school badge. Miss Roper is still around as is Mrs Goldigay.

I also remember Miss Featherstone I think she was before Miss Plant I also remember Mrs Hillier Miss Roper and Miss Shirley I think she taught needle work but as I was no good at it she made me sit in the Library

I went to Vicarage Rd infants in Aston in 1935 for just 6 months followed by a school Sheldon till 1939, cannot think of the School but near Cranes Park Rd then Saint James Junior in Shirley till 1941, then I went to senior school, a brand new school called Sharmans Cross Senior School in Solihull until I was 13 in 1943, then my Mother died and I went to live with my Nan in Aston and spent my last 6 months at Aston Hall Rd School (what a dump !!) and left in 1944 (we left school at 14 in those days) Eric

Hi Carol.I sent you a private message Re Manor Park.Do you remember a FRANCIS BELL? My friend Sue and Francis made Miss Roper a christmas cake also do you remeber the school trip to Bockleton?Can you keep me informed Re; the school reunion has Sue would love to go and see some of her old friends

Of course I did't go to "manor Park" I am sorry to say!, but I have enjoyed reading about and looking at the bevy of lovely photo's,on this thread, but what is really wonderful is the way that all you girls have kept in touch over the years, thanks for the thread.
regards
paul

Hi
Yes I definitely remember Bockleton all thoes wooden huts and the cold water I seem to remember us doing some kind of show I would love to go to the reunion also I will keep looking on the site I think is in JUne

hi jean ;
it was in the mid fifties my sister went to vicage rd we lived around the corner on lichfield rd and i beleive it was miss plant my sister hurt
as my mother came back from the school in a sweat and ranting and raving at my sister all the way home she told dad and he grounded her for a week
alan astonian

That's a first Alan. I would love to have seen it as we were all frit to death of Miss Plant. How did she hurt her Alan?.

hi jean
apparently there was a diagreement between the two of them ,and she did not like her that being the head mistress and here was a scuffle
at first they thought they had broken the arm of the head but it was just bruising my sister had only just joined the vicarage rd school
she previously came down from surrey in london at a private schol for afew years she was a hot headed girl with every body around her a bit of a manic
we always fought with each other never got on with her she made my life hell along with my other seven brothers and gave mom a hard time all her life
when my father died it was worst ; i have not seen or heard or spoke to my oldest sister in years and i intend not to after all these forty years
she his now 68 years old and the last time i seen her was about when she was around twenty years old and got married but i voved not to go to the wedding nor her funeral and that vow still stands alan

Hi MY NAME IS SUSAN BRADBURY DOES ANYONE REMEMBER SUSAN FLOWERS I WOULD LOVE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH HER SHE WENT TO MANOR PARK GIRLS.

Hi Carol.What fun we had at Bockleton has anybody got any photo's? I went to Duddeston Manor and we also went to Bockleton i remember that big staircase and the long walk down 2 the front of the house we had a great laugh there.

Hi I went to Upper Thomas Juniors and Manor Park Girls 1967-1970 I remember Pauline Macintosh, Christine Richards, Doreen Christie, Angela Campbell, Gloria Laws, Connie? Barbara Strachen?. Teachers I remember were Miss Hodgson, Miss Roper

Hello all, My name is Lynda Coles. I hope someone sees this thread because all the comments seem to be quite old. I attended Manor Park Secondary in the 1960s. Miss Plant reigned supreme together with a deputy whose name I cannot remember and Miss Roper, Mrs Bond, Miss Shirley and Miss Reynolds, Mrs Ault, Miss Rose, Mrs McKay, Miss Neal and Mr Calladine, ( the first male teacher). My mentor was Miss Williams the art teacher who I adored. I would dearly like to know what became of her. I am hoping that Mrs Bond is still around. Can anyone let me have any contact details for her? Thank you in anticipation. I also remember a few pupil names: Linda Kirk, Janet Gresswell, Monica Strachan, Marion Morgan, Anne-Marie----? Christine ? Ann Dawson, Lucy ? Carol? I remember doing some experimental GCEs and mostly CSEs. It would be good to hear from anyone from that time. Lx

Back