• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Manor Park School Vicarage Road

I went to Vicarage Road School, in the thirties, but it was a for boys as well. It was on the left hand side walking up from Aston Church end. The headmistress was Miss Becket. My sister was kept in one day, and as she was my responsibilty I went in and released her from standing in the corner. What a kuffufle that caused. Happy days. Regards, David.

David l always remember my dad telling me about vicarage rd school when the boys and girls were seperate....l don't know what year it was that he left school he was born 1905...well on his last day he was caught climbing the wall to look at the girls got caught and said he had the worst caning he'd ever had can you imagin that happening in this day and age....Brenda

Brenda I was talking to my sister on the telephone the other night about the incident and she laughed when she remembered her teacher hitting me on the head with a broom. Reckoned it was the best laugh she'd had in ages. Regards, David.
David l always remember my dad telling me about vicarage rd school when the boys and girls were seperate....l don't know what year it was that he left school he was born 1905...well on his last day he was caught climbing the wall to look at the girls got caught and said he had the worst caning he'd ever had can you imagin that happening in this day and age....Brenda

David, can you imagine today what the law would have done to these teachers of days gone bye, for starters there would have probably a law suit, the teachers then the school district would have been liable for thousands for cruelty to children etc,..or the kids of today would turn round and retaliate in some way, how times have changed...but glad you had a good laugh ...Brenda

Thanks Jean - I received the badge today and will be adding it to my collection. I will sending Dorothy a thankyou card. Keith

Brenda, I went to another school in Four Oaks and had to go to The Gaffer for six of the best. I wrapped my hand in a bandage and when he asked me what the problem was I told him I'd sprained it so ended up getting only three strokes on the other. Instead of keeping my big mouth shut I went around telling everyone how smart I was, and had to return for the other three plus having to write out two hundred times 'I must not tell lies.'
Brenda I was talking to my sister on the telephone the other night about the incident and she laughed when she remembered her teacher hitting me on the head with a broom. Reckoned it was the best laugh she'd had in ages. Regards, David.

David, loved your story, l bet you can haver a chuckle about it now..l wonder if the kids of to-day have to do lines like we did.???...they would probabily but them in the copier and just carry one, Brenda

I left Manor Park and left in 1962 does anyone remember Diane Hawkes, she lived in Holte Road as did I, Jean and Patty. Have been trying to find her for sometime but no joy so thought I would take a chance on asking here
Denise

Claribel ask your wife if she remembers the Lay family from Church Lane only their friend has just joined the forum?. TTFN. Jean.

I have both Manor Park and Yew Tree road photo's. Sports and football teams with their teachers plus group photo's. Will start after a late dinner. TTFN. Jean.

I have both Manor Park and Yew Tree road photo's. Sports and football teams with their teachers plus group photo's. Will start after a late dinner. TTFN. Jean.

Here are three to be going on with Keith. The first is a school production at Manor Park school with the new and old block in the background. I am not sure how you spell this but is sounds like Sh herazade. I am bottom row first left lying down. The second are St Mary's school . I can find out the teachers names and the year if you like?. Jean.

Last edited:
Edit. Unfortunately the images on this post have been lost.

Two more taken at Manor Park girls school with the Domestic Science block on the one and the tennis courts in the background. The girls on the bench are Ivy Price, Marion Hardwick and Jean ????. The other photo has Mrs Lowe the P E teacher. Marion and Ivy live went on holiday to Jersey met two lads who were best friends and they paired up and are married and live within half a mile of one another down south. Jean.

Last edited:
My friend went to Manor Park Susan Bradbury/Cleaver does anyone remember her? here are a few names she remembers Sandra Jones,Ann Miller,Bridget Smith,Zowie Cullwick,Christine Turner,Susan Flowers she would love to hear from anyone who remembers her

Irene my sister is Sandra Jones I will tell her to have a look on here she is a member.

Hi Irene, I was at Manor Park School in 1966 -1970,
I cannot remember a Susan Bradbury /Cleaver. You have got me thinking now, I can remember a Pat Finch, Betty Steane, Ann Scarrott, Gail Morris, Glyniss Parsons, Josephine Quigley, Annette Layton, Pamela ? she lived Aston Cross way, Christine ? , we had a Miss Hodgson as our teacher when we first started she was lovely does anyone remember her?

Claribel ask your wife if she remembers the Lay family from Church Lane only their friend has just joined the forum?. TTFN. Jean.
Yes Jean she does. Sylvia and Shirley and their mom used to sell toffee apples and treacle toffee lollies.

Last edited:
Hi Irene,
Just remembered a few more names . I think it was Pamela Gaskin, there was a Marie Allen, Christina Bayliss, and I think her friends name was Anita ?.Also I think there was a Irma Green ?
If I think of anyone else I will let you know. Classes were split into 3 forms, Form 1A , 1B, 1C. I can remember teachers Miss Roper, Mrs Sherris and Miss Shirley ? they were the sewing teachers, they had classrooms opposite one another. Their favourite saying was, your just like your sister, I don't know wether that was a good or bad thing. ( only joking Pat)

HI MARI
I Knew pam gaskin she lived at the bottom of our terrace she was the sister to my best mate
colin gaskin and her dad was sammy gaskin along with her sister sandra gaskin they later left school and started work at the old HP Sauce
They had a other sister whom i can not recall her name there father sam used to be a commisioner at some company
whom wore a very smart uniform he was a ex army officier in the tanks regiment
best wishes Astonian

Hi Sandra.Thanks for the info.I seen sue today and she was so so pleased you got in touch.She said she would love to meet up with you or even just 2 have a chat on the phone.Sue said do you remember the time you played the wag?and she was scared incase her mom found out.Also do you remember Bockleton?Sue remembers Ann Miller being your best mate at school? Do you see anyone from school? Irene

Hi Claribel.I seen my friend today Susan Bradbury,she said your wife's name rings a bell from Church Lane.Sue's mom Kathy commited suicide age 34(sue told me to let you know about her mom).And it may jog Shirley's memory.

Hi Sandra.I went a trip down memory today(mon) with my friend Sue.We went to the street's where she lived Lichfield Rd,Church Rd,Lovers Walk.And then we went and had a look at your old school Manor Park it's a primary school now.Sue really enjoyed it.

I also went to Manor Park and remember Miss Plant Miss Roper and Miss Hillier do any of you remember 1066 and all that, I was one of the solders also the Eisteddfod I left when I was 14 1/2 to go into hairdressing down in Summer Lane

Back